Pre-1997 Models

getting to back of radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getting to back of radio

My sister wants me to redo some of the wiring from the head unit to the sub. My problem is that I dont know how to pull out the radio. On my 98 F150 its easy, i just pull off a little trim piece but i cant figure out how to do it on hers and there is no way i want to pull the whole dash to figure it out. Can anyone offer any advice. Its a aftermarket headunit in there now and i just need to know how to get it out. Thanks

Edit: Its a 95 F150

Old 09-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Nobody has ever taken their stock radio out?

Old 09-08-2005, 01:14 PM
There's 2 holes on either side of the radio face plate. You need to stick a pin in each of those holes, depress the latch clips and wiggle the radio out. AutoZoo sells a tool or you can cut 2 u-shaped loops out of coat hanger wire and stuff them in.

BTW this has been asked and answered numerable times before. If you had used the search function you would have found it. I suspect that's why you got no replies.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:46 PM
I know your question didn't get answered yet. Nevermind the whole 2 hole thing. Aftermarket decks come with keys. They are typically narrow long pieces of metal that slide in between the deck and sleeve snap in place and out comes the deck. If it's alpine, they have little locks on either side you have to lift or push down.

Start by taking off the trim ring, then look for the little slots to get an idea of the size of key you need. Pioneer made keys that worked on several other brands...

BTW, you say aftermarket deck in your post, on the second post, you say factory, no wonder everyone's confused.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:02 PM
As mentioned, it would be easier to give advice if you gave information; what make/model is the head unit?

Old 09-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah, me confused. You wanna take out the stock and put in an alpine?

Adrianspeeder

Old 09-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help. The reason I didnt post the brand is I honestly cant be sure but its either JVC, Pioneer, or Alpine.(its my sisters truck). I didnt think it would matter because on my 98 its easy to get the trim off to see it. So yeah, its an Aftermarket head unit that i need to get out to install better RCA cables. So this weekend I will see if i can use what advice you guys gave and see if I can pull this thing out without breaking anything.

Quick Reply: getting to back of radio