Pre-1997 Models

Tool Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tool Question

Hey guys...what Fan Clutch tool are you guys keeping in your box. Let the wife drive HiOSlvr this week and she let the darn thing boil over. What can I say I felt like the truck wanted to slap me when I met her to "trade back".

Anywho...figured it was the fan clutch. Temp been jumpy when idling. SHE just doesn't pay attention to the "cute little gauges". Picked up a new fan clutch but looked at the "tool" at the parts store and then tried to educate the boy behind the counter by showing him how the "tool" would not even fit the nut on the fan clutch. I "altered" the one I had with the trusty grinder but it wouldn't budge the thing.

Have a radiator shop 5mns from work that has been in ATL since the 30s who only wanted $50 to change the fan clutch so since it was 95 degrees out again today I left the key with them and wrote out the check.

I really don't like other folks wenching on HiO so I was wondering what usable tool everyone else is using that WORKS.

And I would even spend the extra $$ if there was a set to fit the Expy as well. ( Recently did the radiator in it without removing the fan. )

Old 08-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24" Crescent wrench, one size fits all
18" Pipe wrench, one size fits anything
Either doubles as a hammer in an emergency.

Old 08-20-2005, 09:12 AM
I think it has left handed threads, did you try turning for left handed threads?

Old 08-20-2005, 04:37 PM
make sure u got a metric crescent wrench and an american

Old 08-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sub,
Yes, checked the thread pattern. Even double checked it at the parts store by having them bring out a water pump test threads with. I'm thinking last time I locked down the pulley with a old belt and vise grips and used another pair of vise grips on the clutch assembly. My brother said he couldn't believe I was able to get it off. I'll have to check for a large adjustable wrench next time I'm out and about.

Quick Reply: Tool Question