Pre-1997 Models

Help Help!!! Won't Start

Old 08-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help Help!!! Won't Start

OK I looked at NCCampers post and did most all that stuff to see if I can get it to go.

Here's the sob story. Wife drove truck up to sis' bridal shower got here and it wouldn't start up again after they stopped. Tried to jump no luck just one click then finally starter turned over a bit but slow. finally got it jumped drove a few miles to mom's house. Would not restart just one click. Bought a new battery wouldn't start just one click. I drove up to investigate 120miles from home in the boonies!! Tightened the battery cables fired right up. Ran for 20 min. checked voltage battery over 14 running, alternator same thing. Shut off. Started once then off again. came back out in 1 hour nothing. one click. then absolutely nothing. Dead all the way no lights no nothing. Only thing I can get is the manual switch dome lights to come on very dim.

F-150 5.0L
4x4 manual

OK now that every thing is dead I have power in the battery, power to the alternator and starter. The ground on the starter was loose as someone suggested, tightened still nothing. Banged on starter with wrench nothing. Checked the relay behind the battery. put key in RUN and jumped across the 2 big posts did not start. nothing happened. If I cross the small top one with the larger back post towards passanger the relay will click? I checked the - cables to chassis and engine with the battery have 16 volts. Checked the + cables to starter and alternator have 16 volts. Checked + cables to solenoid relay behind battery

NEG BATTERY TO front post 0 volts
NEG BATTERY TO back(towards passanger) post 16 volts
NEG BATTERY TO small top post 0 volts

POS BATTERY TO front post 16 volts
POS BATTERY TO back post 0 volts
POS BATTERY to small top post 16 volts

OK Now what is next???

Really in a tight spot, have to drive home 120 miles tomorrow for work on Monday. Anyone out there able to help or give me some suggestions.??? I assume the relay is ok as it didn't start the car when I jumped across the 2 big bolts. I'm stuck can't think of what to do next. If anyone has some advice I'd love to hear it, if I can talk to someone on the phone that would be great as well. e-mail: zeus.02@engr.colostate.edu

Thanks,
MIKE

Old 08-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm betting since you have good positive power everywhere, a bad ground cable. Take your meter and put it in ohm mode checking at one end of the ground cable to the other end. Another thing to try is take the jumper cables from the neg post to the frame and see what happens then.

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Try turning on and leaving on your headlights.
Check the voltage from the NEG BATTERY POST TO ENGINE METAL.
You should have 0 Volts, I bet you will read Battery Voltage, and if you do you have a bad ground.

A jumper cable from NEG BATTERY POST TO ENGINE METAL may get you home but make sure it is tied back so it will not get in to anything or come off.

Then replace your whole battery ground wire, it may have a center place along the way, look at it also.

Old 08-14-2005, 09:26 AM
I agree, you need to check for voltage drop. That will tell you exactly where the problem is. If you're not familiar with voltage drop, I'll walk you through it.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the responses guys I truly appreciate your wisdom. Well The cables were ok, I cleaned the battery posts and connectors with some sand paper and I had a blown line fuse just after the relay. Fixed the line fuse and she fired up first time. So got it going again, thanks for the help!

MIKE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Help!!! Won't Start