Pre-1997 Models

89F150 dies and gauges go out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89F150 dies and gauges go out?

Ok.
'89 F150 XLT 4X4, 5.0, AT.
No engine codes, says its oky-doky. But the engine doesn’t run for crap and I have not been able to fix it. Replaced all the sensors and added that air idle between the plenum and the AIC to fix the idle serge problem.

It sat for about 4 months and I started it up to wash it so I can sell the POS (bought an ’05 F150).
Now I start it up and the gauges seem to work when its running but it keeps dieing and the gauges act like they go dead! They don’t come back until I get the engine going. But then I was thinking that the temp should show nothing and the gas should be really really low to nothing, but they are going up when I start the thing.

Any suggestions other than a short in the system?

- Joe

Old 07-31-2005, 05:19 AM
Sounds too simple, but did you check the point where the negative battery cable attaches to your engine block?? You'd be amazed at the havoc that something so simple can create..

..it costs nothing to look!

Old 07-31-2005, 03:38 PM
I didn't have time to check. Would seem odd that this problem pops up when the truck has sat in the garage not moving or doing nothing since the last time it seemed to not have this problem.

Quick Reply: 89F150 dies and gauges go out?