Pre-1997 Models

what is the limited slip called offcially?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the limited slip called offcially?

what kind/brand/model ... is the limited slip in a 95 f-150 im thinking about replacing the clutches/springs and whatnot just for good measure since i have got over 122k miles and am wondering what i need to look for ordering and does any one have a good source for these parts?

Old 07-11-2005, 10:42 PM
What you have, assuming it's original equipment, is a Ford Traction-Lok Limited Slip Differential, 8.8" 31-spline.

To check it, jack up ONE rear wheel with the tranny in neutral. Set your torque wrench at 20 ft-lbs and put it on one of the lug nuts. The torque wrench handle MUST be pointing straight out from the center of the wheel. Try to turn the wheel. If the wrench clicks before the wheel turns, you don't need a rebuild. If the wheel moves before the wrench clicks, it's time to tear things apart. FWIW the Trac- Lok in my F150 would hold 100 when new, so 20 is pretty much shot.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Thumbs up

If you do have to tear it down, you can upgrade it to an 8 clutch pack from the stock 6 for a bit more bite also. The rebuilt kits I've seen offer you either way you may choose. I'd consider a new center preload spring also if you're going in there. Don't forget about that friction modifier stuff too.

Quick Reply: what is the limited slip called offcially?