Pre-1997 Models

Changing Position of the Distributor Mounted ICM

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Position of the Distributor Mounted ICM

I've got an '88 2x4 Lariat XLT with a 302. I'm tired of changing the distributor mounted ICM. I've got a heat sink and module from a T-Bird (don't know the year) and have mounted the heatsink behind the grill. Here's the first question. The dizzy mounted ICM has three prongs that go into the dizzy housing, the heat sink mounted one doesn't. Do I have to change the dizzy to match the heat sink module, or does the heat sink module compensate for these prongs? Second question. When I splice the wires, are the positions the same for both modules? Third. Some of the wires are wrapped with foil tape, will I have to rewrap my new harness with the same stuff (it has a wire mesh in it. For RFI?)? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Have you changed the stator inside the distributor? Are you getting your parts from Advance or AutoZone? It is worth the extra money to get some things from a dealer. How long did the original last? Chances are the factory replacement will last longer.

Robbie

Old 06-28-2005, 10:23 PM
I think I'll go that way the next time it craps out. What the hey, nothing to lose.

Quick Reply: Changing Position of the Distributor Mounted ICM