Pre-1997 Models

Auto-Phobic Coolant Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto-Phobic Coolant Question

Please help with me. I know nothing about cars (I'm a computer geek).

I have a 96 F150 V8 302 5.0L that is shooting coolant out of a lower port at the start of the intake. Let me try to explain a little detail and hopefully someone can help me.

Coming from the water pump there is a line that connect to the front of the intake manifold (at the bottom). This is directly behind the alternator. At the top of this section of the intake manifold is another line that comes out of the top and connects to another line that is part of the heating system. On the front part of this section of the intake manifold are two holes (ports?), one on top of the other. When the engine is running the coolant is shooting out of the lower hole in a narrow stream.

Question #1> What are these two holes (ports?)?
Question #2> How do I go about fixing this leak?

All help and information is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Scott

Old 06-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Can you post a picture? All you have to do to repair it is to replace the section of hose that is leaking, if it is a hose and not a metal part.

Robbie

Old 06-01-2005, 09:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like your thermostat housing. After you pull the hoses off it, there are two bolts that hold it down (1/2" socket I think). The thermostat is underneath it. You can get the thermostat and gasket at any auto parts store, but if the housing itself is corroded away then you can try the dealer for that.

Old 06-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Intake Coolant Leak w/Picture

Here is a picture of the engine area where the leak is occuring. It is in the bottom hole (red arrow pointing to leak).

Leaking Port Picture

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Scott

Last edited by shutslar; 06-05-2005 at 07:42 PM. Reason: updated
Old 06-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Best thing to do is to disconnect the hoses from the top and bottom of the throttlebody and either block them off, or connect them together. They are to warm up the throttlebody and aren't needed. You will notice no difference when disconnected from the throttlebody. You could clean the area up and apply some JB weld also. The only other fix is to replace the throttlebody assy. I personally would opt for the first fix.

Robbie

Old 06-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by bigbronc
Best thing to do is to disconnect the hoses from the top and bottom of the throttlebody and either block them off, or connect them together.

Robbie
Thanks BigBronc! I took your suggestion and everything is great. I just purchased a new line and ran it from the pump to the return, bypassing the throttle body. Total cost for repair: $0.84!

I really appreciate the help. I did not know what to do and the dealership stated I needed to change the entire assembly at an estimated cost of $365.

You have my gratitude!
Scott

Quick Reply: Auto-Phobic Coolant Question