Pre-1997 Models

exhaust questions

Old 05-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust questions

im looking to get my exhaust done. i have a 93 f150 4.9l 4x4. i need everything to be emissions legal. i am consider doing headers all the way back. what would you guys suggest for the brand of headers? im want low end power and something that is decent price, 200-300$. as for the cats, should i get hiflow? and will that stay legal? and i want to have it exit out in front of the rear tire. i looked at the gibson muffler, it was pricey but looks nice. anyone ever gotten it? hows it sound and perform? i want to be able to hear myself think but i want to be able to hear it. doing all this would you recommend it be done professionally? or i could do it myself but dont have access to welder so i would have to use clamps on it all? what do you all think? thanks for the info and your time.

ps pics of exhaust would be helpful too, thanks

Old 05-10-2005, 09:56 PM
...and how much more power would i get? a solid 10-15hp?

Old 05-12-2005, 10:46 PM
anyone ever do this to a 4.9l??

Old 05-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Last time i checked the only one that made headers for an inline 6 was clifford performance. You can install a high flow cat and it will be emissions legal, just keep in mind that the engine does need some exhaust backpressure to make torque, which is what the 4.9l is made for, it will never be a high rpm, high horsepower engine like the 302 or 351 V8 can be. Also a free flowing exhaust will hurt you gas milage. I've never heard the gibson muffler on a 4.9l but i had first glasspacks and then flowmaster 40 series on my truck and the flowmaster sounded pretty decent but it didn't rumble like a v8.

-Jon

Old 05-14-2005, 06:32 PM
ok, i think i will probably go with just puting a muffler on and puting it out in front of the tire.
has anyone put a 40 series flowmaster on an i6? sound good? any other recommendations?

thanks

Old 05-14-2005, 07:04 PM
There are lots of sources for headers for the I6 besides Clifford. You won't find them in the Summit or Jeg's catalogues, but check the various header makers web sites/catalogues. Check out:

Clifford Performance
MAC
Dynomax
Pace Setter
Hedman
Hooker

for otherwise stock engines, the EFI manifolds work pretty well. You only gain with headers when you start to build the engine up. You will also have to figure out how to hook up the EGR with headers, not the simplest of tasks unless you're capable of bending large diameter tubing.

Dumping the exhaust in front of the tire can discolor alloy wheels, if that matters to you. Don't plan on more than any real HP gain from just a muffler. Change the stock 2.25" exhuast to a 2.5" with a high-flow cat and you'll see some difference.

Take a look at the Big Six section at www.fordsix.com

Old 05-15-2005, 02:49 AM
would it be a permenant discoloring or can it be buffed or polished out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: exhaust questions