Pre-1997 Models

tranny on the way out?

Old 04-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny on the way out?

Well I kinda figured it would happen soon and its getting worse everyday. Iv got a fast vibration with a not so good metal on metal sound that happens a lot now when i give the truck gas. It doesnt seem to matter what gear the tranny is in, happens in all of them. it doesnt happen when im accelerating, only when i try to maintain speed. Also, im starting to have slippage between the 2 and 3 gear change. The engine RPMS go up between the shifts a little bit before it kicks into the next gear. I guess the slippage means that im gonna lose gears soon, but has anyone ever experienced the other problem? I was considering giving it a fluid change to see if that helps but iv read a ton of stories on here of these trannys working really well right after the fluid change and then just falling apart like a week later. Also, about how much are shops getting for a rebuild on these now?

Old 04-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Question shudder fix

I just had a salvage tranny installed on my '93 Flareside that has 216,000 miles on it. I never neglected my maintenance. After picking up my truck from the installation shop, I was 10 minutes down the road when the same problem started again. I was TICKED about this "SHUDDER" in my tranny. I then found this website to research and discovered that this is a major problem with FORD. I even took it to Goodyear for a computer diagnostic and they found nothing wrong, although when they drove it around, the problem was obvious. I then put a can of SUDDER FIX in it after reading about how that was the answer, but it just made ot worse. I then called the installer and he told me that he put the Type III fluids in it. I am going to replace it with the Type V fluids on Monday. If this is not the problem, then the only thing left to do is replace the entire Torque Converter. All the other vibration and noise problems have been replaced or done. My truck has never been abused or neglected in maintaining it. My business depends on my wheels. The only other question to this problem is the ignition or computer brain.

Anyone else got better input?

Good Luck with your SHUDDER...........
Can't get rid of mine!

Old 05-05-2005, 12:01 PM
If it's an e40d trans i think they are getting like $2000 for a rebuild because they replace a lot of hard parts to eliminate a few common problems that these trannies have. If it's already acting up i wouldn't change the fluid now, the burn't up clutch pieces in the fluid are what is providing friction for those worn out clutches to grip. Eithier way though it's probably not long for this world.

-Jon

Old 05-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Tell ya what i know a tranny goin out feels like a tragedy but let me tell you this thank god it's as strong as it is i had an 1987 S10 Blazer tranny went out at 69,000 miles and had then again at 88,000 and then again at 101,000 and then i got rid of it and the silverados from around 88 to 99 ate em like candy a friend had one never even took it in the mud and he lost 3rd at 70,000 and my uncle has owned his since buyin it new in 90 and has went through 6 so even though its a bad thing it could be worse

Old 05-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Fluids fixed it!

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about not being able to respond sooner, my PC crashed and it took me until now to re-istall it. Anyway, my newer tranny had the type III fluids put into it because that is what the dip stick said to the mechanic. I changed the fluids to the type V and added a Shudder fix additive and the tranny runs smooth, but, I still have that low rpm vibration and slight shudder during take off from stop and when I slow down to a stop. I did read that there is a shifter spring and o-rings in the converter that may be the cause of this problem. Does anyone know if this is true and what it will take to fix that problem? Or should I just get another converter?

Wiz

Old 05-06-2005, 09:05 PM
There are now springs or o-rings in the convertor, do you mean the valve body?

-Jon

Old 05-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Dunno!

I read another post that had something about those issues, but I really don't know much about tranny stuff at all! I just can't figure out why this vibration is so constant ot where it is even coming from, especially after all the repairs and fix its that I have already done!

Wizard

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tranny on the way out?