Pre-1997 Models

Performance engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance engine

I have a 94 F-150 that has a 5.0 in it. At 182,000 miles it died so i had questions about buying a reman engine or rebuilding original or a crate motor. I chose a Ford Motorsports crate motor. It is a big change from going to a tired 302 to a brand new high performance 302. I also had the transmission rebuilt to handle the new engine but i have a question for anyone that can help me. It is a crate motor with the B303 cam, GT-40X heads, Edelbrock 302 truck intake, BBk twin 56mm throttle body, MSD distributor, MSD 6AL box, MSD TFI coil, electric fan kit from Troyer Performance, March underdrive pulleys, Pro M 75mm MAF, Ford Racing high flow 19lb injectors,K&N fuel injection performance kit, Ford Motorsports headers with flowmaster exhaust. The transmission has a 2500 stall converter, B&M trick shift shift kit, transmission cooler and all of the other new little goodies that go inside the transmission. My problem is that i am not getting the tire burning power that i was imagining with all of the parts. Do i need to change out the rear end gears or by a chip that is custom made for all of the upgrades. Also my check engine light is on. The last time i read the codes the EGR was not switching and i had it replaced, plus the smog pump locked up. what should i do? Another question i purchased the MAF before buying the high flow injectors, do i need to seed the MAF back to Pro M and let them reprogram the MAF to match?

Old 04-13-2005, 07:54 AM
power

A friend of mine dropped the same thing into his 90 mustang GT he also has the same problem with the so called 300 + rear wheel horsepower he was supposed to recieve, at least thats what the shop quoted him. To over come his power problem he went with a better intake manifold and had a custom chip burned for his engine along with gears in the rear end. As for the MAF i don't know much about but hope I helped out some.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Did he get the gains that he wanted out of it after the chip and rearend gears.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Get the gears, that will offset the loss in low end torque that comes with a modified engine. It is usually a compromise, you have to give up some power down low to gain alot of power in the mid to upper rpm range. The reason your engine feels softer down low is the air velocity is slowed down a bit from the new heads, larger throttle body and mass air meter reducing low end throttle response. Like I said get the gears, that will get your low end power back

Last edited by Fordtruck; 04-13-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:39 PM
gains

After the gears and custom chip he liked it a whole lot better and thought i may be somewhat near wha the shop quoted him. It may not completely solve your power need but it will definately help.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:48 AM
19# injectors are not big enough for that engine. You need 24# injectors, a re-calibrated MAF to match and a chip or a re-flashed PCM. The "B" cam is far from ideal for a heavy truck, it's much more suited to a lightweight Mustang. You're going to need big gears to get it to work in your application, at least 4.10 and probably 4.33 or 4.56.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm running 4.30's and like them alot

Quick Reply: Performance engine