Pre-1997 Models

Visual difference between EFI & MFI?

Old 03-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visual difference between EFI & MFI?

Everytime I search or ask for parts for my '94 F-150 I get asked whether I have the 5.8 EFI or MFI. Most of the time the parts I'm looking for are the same for both, but I'd like to know what type of fuel injection I actually have. Is there any visual que I could look at the would identify the type?

Thanks

U.M.

Old 04-03-2005, 04:01 PM
FI

It is actually MPFI(multiportfuelinjection)But MPFI and EFI are the same.It just depends on who you are.Now TBI and MPFI are different,TPI (GM)

Old 04-03-2005, 11:49 PM
A 94 could have either speed-density MPFI which is sometimes referred to as MFI or mass-airflow SEFI (sequential electronic fuel injection) also referred to as simply EFI.

The obvious external physical difference is the presence of a mass-air meter. Look at the two hoses which bring air from the intake air box to the throttle body. If at the airbox end, the hoses join together into a single hose and attach to the air meter (an aluminum cylinder about 2.5" in diameter x about 3" long) you have mass-airflow, i.e. EFI. If they remain separate until they enter the airbox you have speed-density MFI.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by StrangeRanger
A 94 could have either speed-density MPFI which is sometimes referred to as MFI or mass-airflow SEFI (sequential electronic fuel injection) also referred to as simply EFI.

The obvious external physical difference is the presence of a mass-air meter. Look at the two hoses which bring air from the intake air box to the throttle body. If at the airbox end, the hoses join together into a single hose and attach to the air meter (an aluminum cylinder about 2.5" in diameter x about 3" long) you have mass-airflow, i.e. EFI. If they remain separate until they enter the airbox you have speed-density MFI.
Well there ya go. I have MFI! No MAF on this monster. Thanks for the lesson.

U.M.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Visual difference between EFI & MFI?