Pre-1997 Models

If not the starter, then what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question If not the starter, then what?

My starter stuck on start up and with in 10 sec. it was burnt. So on my second starter about 3-4 weeks later it happend again, except this time I turned the engine off immeadiatly only to hear the starter still running. So I was stuck there w/ my starter runing and the hardest thing I had was my seatbelt to wack it w/...needless to say that starter got burnt too.

I've heard of some type of cyliniod up on the fender, which is what I'm goin to check out after I remove and replace my second starter.

Any other suggestions?

Old 03-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Is your ignition key sprining back to the run position after you start the vehicle?
Other than that it may be a faulty relay that is sticking.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:36 PM
It's the Solenoid right up by the battery, 99.9% sure. Follow the positive battery cable and it will take you to the solenoid. Some call it a relay, just a different name for the same thing. Should be $10 to $15 at any parts store. yours will have 2 large terminals and either one or 2 little terminals. If yours has only one small terminal and the parts store only has one with 2 terminals it will work fine, just ignore the extra terminal. This has been a common ford 'quirk' for years, and it's a common replacement part. good luck.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Yeah I changed out the soliniod and everything seems fine, then again it seemed fine last time. But if what you say is true (kevin), then I should be good.

I know one thing.....I can change a starter out pretty damn fast thanx to this.lol

Thanx for all your replies....

Old 03-15-2005, 09:57 PM
I had the same problem with a 95 E-150 van. First the truck wouldn't crank, so I replaced the starter. A day later, the starter wont stop, even with the key off and removed. Had to disconnnect the battery to stop it. Replaced the solenoid. Still had the "sticky starter" problem. After the third attempt at starting&yanking off the battery cable, the truck started alright. Took it to the local garage to let them work on it as I was out of solutions.
Diagnosis- my new starter was bad right out of the box. replaced again and all is well.

Quick Reply: If not the starter, then what?