Pre-1997 Models

What's your problem???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's your problem???

What's your problem(s)..........with your truck. This is a thread for you to list your problems.............with your truck that is.

I have a list of problems...........with my truck......

1. problems with clunking and a grinding noise in the brakes, doesn't happen much anymore, but still a problem.

2. Coolant leak and smell, somewhere it is leaking, but not sure where. I found drops on the fron differential.

3. the passenger side window quit working yesterday. The motor still works, but the window doesn't go up or down without being moved by hand.

4. The a/c doesn't work and hasn't worked since i bought it from the previous owner.

5. The front gas tank has a leak or something and doesn't work. Didn't work when i bought it.

There are, and have been, some others, but all in all, not to major problems at all. And none effect or have effected the trucks driving ability.

I love this truck, even with the problems, and there is no way i will give it up for a chevy or a dodge or any other company. I am sure many of you feel the same way about your trucks.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:58 PM
1. Ignition cylinder is bad, and needs to be replaced.

2. Somehow i got white paint on my dash, and i need to paint over it.

3. The headliner is starting to come down.

4. That f**king wingnut holding my jack in place under my hood is rusted stuck. So one day I'll take a hammer to it, and see what it does.

That's all i can really think of right now. I think that's all there is... Oh wait. New tires, and need to fix the rust problem on the underside of my bed.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:58 PM
lol i have the exact same problem with my jack, but the whole bolt screws right out on mine since the wing nut is rusted on.

Old 03-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Okay... The truck is a 1982 Ford F-150 XLT Ranger/Explorer/Lariat(That's what the window sticker and bill of sale say), Two weel drive, power steering, and a loaded interior(No power windows or locks, but everything else), and a 300 CID Inline Six. That's the good stuff. Then there's the bad.
1) The engine makes almost now power, hardly enough to move the truck now.
2) The engine leaks oil from at least seven seperate spots, and probably more that I just can't see.
3) There is a whistling noise coming from the engine any time I'm not giving it half a pedal of gas or more, and it's loud enough to hear inside a noisy building. I'd say about 60-75 dB at the source.
4) There is now an enourmous coolant leak at the spot where the heater hose mounts to the engine.
5)There are exhaust leaks at the manifold, where it's cracked and where it meets the engine, the pipe from the manifold to the converter, the converter(Which is blown almost in half), the pipe from the converter to the Thrush muffler, the Thrush muffler(also blown in half), and the pipe from the muffler to the tip. And the tip.
6) The spot where the intake manifold meets the engien has a nasty leak(I have been told that that's where the whistling noise is coming from).
7)The timing seems to reset itself to about 4 degrees off of where it should be(I am taking the vacuum advance off when I time it, this is right, right?)
8) The vacuum leaks everywhere, partially due to the fact that I made most of it myself with vacuum lines and pictures of what it should look like.
9) The PCV system is bum, so there is a ton of oil in the old filter element.
10) Needs new tires badly , the ones on there now are totally bald.
11) Both the rear wheel arch panels are gone, totally rusted out. I have replacements from Blue Oval Truck Parts, but no welder to weld them in.
12) Tailgate is gone, rusted top to bottom and front to back.
13) The bed is totally rusted out.
14) The steering pulls hard to the right, and the pump and linkages are bad.
15) The interior is bad, cracked everything, no headliner, steering wheel is broken.
16) It throws belts, badly. Constantly. As soon as I redline the engine, the water pump and power steering belts are off, hitting the hood, and then on the ground. It's getting expensive.
17) The passenger side door is bad, wrecked, along with the panel in front of it.
18) Front end damage.
19) Needs a new top end.
20) Needs a new bottom end.
21) Needs a new everythign in between.
22) IT LEAKS EVERY FLUID IN THE DAMN TRUCK!
There's plenty of others, but I'm out of time, so I'll just leave it at this and a 500 dollar sticker in the window.

Old 03-03-2005, 02:19 PM
leclarion...
i think you might be able to sum up your problem, and claim that you (no offence) have a beater...

Old 03-04-2005, 11:24 PM
I have a 90 f150, paint turnin purple, ac no longer works, power steering pump leaks, some antifreeze here and there, also some oil leakage, over 100k miles and runs like a charm. I will run ol betsy till the friggin wheels fall off

Old 03-08-2005, 06:15 AM
My trannie went out

and uuummm?????

Last edited by 5Lbronco; 03-09-2005 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Here ya go:

1. There's a clunk coming from under the front driver's side wheel...probably a ball joint.
2. Passenger side seat belt needs to be replaced.
3. A dog chewed off the OD switch from the gear selector.
4. The jack is missing, but hey I have the crank!
5. It needs a good cleanin' and detailin'.
6. It has over 221,000...so who knows what else?
7. Oh...and the thing (with a 302 motor) is a gas hawg! And up go the gas prices, so it won't be a daily driver.

BUT...for $500 ya can't beat it!

Thanks,
John

Old 03-08-2005, 06:38 PM
I've had my 94 I6 XL with 110k miles since November.

So far I fixed / replaced:

brakes except lines and master cylinder,
suspension except rear springs,
4 new tires,
rear gas tank,
fuel lines forward of the fuel filter
the fuel filter,
power steering pressure and return lines

Since the rear tank was replaced I have found another fuel leak in the line rear of the fuel filter, and the front tank pump makes a lot of noise (and starves it of fuel)

The cooling system needs work. It leaks, and either the thermometer is dead or the thermostat is stuck open -- it runs cold.

The battery is a piece of crap or maybe something else is wrong. The meter sits at 18 for an hour after every start. I haven't looked at the wiring yet, but all new wiring, cap, rotor, spark plugs etc would be nice.

The starter sometimes just clicks and doesn't start the first few times I turn the key.

The entire exhaust system could be replaced.

The heater fan only works on full blast, the three lower settings do nothing.

There is no radio, the ashtray is busted and falls out, hangs by the wires for the lighter, which also doesn't work.

Extensive corrosion. It leaves fluids and flakes of rust anywhere I park it, so I don't park it anyplace I want to keep clean, like a garage.

Even with all that it runs. Has yet to let me down.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Lets see...

Ignition Coil went bad
Gas gage is of 1/4 Tank
Gas Mileage Sucks
Rust
lether on sterring wheel tore. (gotta love Tape)
Bad ball joints
and umm my jack comes off but it dont reach.!!!!

Old 09-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by LeClarion
Okay... The truck is a 1982 Ford F-150 XLT Ranger/Explorer/Lariat(That's what the window sticker and bill of sale say), Two weel drive, power steering, and a loaded interior(No power windows or locks, but everything else), and a 300 CID Inline Six. That's the good stuff. Then there's the bad.
1) The engine makes almost now power, hardly enough to move the truck now.
2) The engine leaks oil from at least seven seperate spots, and probably more that I just can't see.
3) There is a whistling noise coming from the engine any time I'm not giving it half a pedal of gas or more, and it's loud enough to hear inside a noisy building. I'd say about 60-75 dB at the source.
4) There is now an enourmous coolant leak at the spot where the heater hose mounts to the engine.
5)There are exhaust leaks at the manifold, where it's cracked and where it meets the engine, the pipe from the manifold to the converter, the converter(Which is blown almost in half), the pipe from the converter to the Thrush muffler, the Thrush muffler(also blown in half), and the pipe from the muffler to the tip. And the tip.
6) The spot where the intake manifold meets the engien has a nasty leak(I have been told that that's where the whistling noise is coming from).
7)The timing seems to reset itself to about 4 degrees off of where it should be(I am taking the vacuum advance off when I time it, this is right, right?)
8) The vacuum leaks everywhere, partially due to the fact that I made most of it myself with vacuum lines and pictures of what it should look like.
9) The PCV system is bum, so there is a ton of oil in the old filter element.
10) Needs new tires badly , the ones on there now are totally bald.
11) Both the rear wheel arch panels are gone, totally rusted out. I have replacements from Blue Oval Truck Parts, but no welder to weld them in.
12) Tailgate is gone, rusted top to bottom and front to back.
13) The bed is totally rusted out.
14) The steering pulls hard to the right, and the pump and linkages are bad.
15) The interior is bad, cracked everything, no headliner, steering wheel is broken.
16) It throws belts, badly. Constantly. As soon as I redline the engine, the water pump and power steering belts are off, hitting the hood, and then on the ground. It's getting expensive.
17) The passenger side door is bad, wrecked, along with the panel in front of it.
18) Front end damage.
19) Needs a new top end.
20) Needs a new bottom end.
21) Needs a new everythign in between.
22) IT LEAKS EVERY FLUID IN THE DAMN TRUCK!
There's plenty of others, but I'm out of time, so I'll just leave it at this and a 500 dollar sticker in the window.

Since then. I've gone through fifteen belts, for every accessory, three oil filters, three batteries, three alternators. I fixed the whistling and power loss, but now the truck would have needed some body work for me to keep. NEw cab. New Bed. New interior. New bumpers. New front end. New drivetrain. I think you all get the idea. And incredibly enough, it's still in service, and probably wil be for a few hundred thousand more miles.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:36 PM
1. rusty rear wheel wells
2. tailgate is curved like )
3. rear gas tank leaks abit
4. oil pan leaks abit
5. rear shakles need replacement
6. driver door ajar sensor isn't working

I only bought it last week, so I'll be shelling out the $$$ to fix them.

Old 09-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmmmm.... well... other than the fact that I still haven't repaired the body from where the wife back her Expedition down the entire pass. side of HiOSlvr the only thing I'm really needing right now are new tires and new injectors...
with now over 230,000 miles and after getting 16.5MPG from my last two tanks I'm happy as a clam and just smile at all the pretty boy trucks here in Atlanta jacked up, shined up and getting 5PMG while making big payments with gas averaging $3.25 per gallon... I've gotten over 65K miles out of the BFG ATKOs but will probably go a little less agressive to help out with milage. I can squeeze a diamond from coal you know. I've hoping between the tires and the new injectors I'll be getting 19PMG and laughing at everyone including my friend and his rice burning Honda Element ( box ugly thing ) which only get 19MPG.

Old 09-04-2005, 06:48 PM
1. gas leak
2. rusty wheel wells on rear
3. cracked windsheild
4. busted step (fiberglass)
5. dented front fender
6. dented tailgate
7. bad gasket in door (wind noise)
8. uses oil
9. bed liner is bowed in from the sides
10. sometimes stalls at stop lights
11.paint chips all over the hood and grill
12. steer horns fell off
13. exhaust sheilds fell off
14. my exhaust pipe hits the rear end if i hit a big bump
15.neither fog lights work
16. one of my front aux lights is out
i think that is most of it

Old 09-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by 74duster318
What's your problem(s)..........with your truck. This is a thread for you to list your problems.............with your truck that is.

I have a list of problems...........with my truck......

1. problems with clunking and a grinding noise in the brakes, doesn't happen much anymore, but still a problem.

2. Coolant leak and smell, somewhere it is leaking, but not sure where. I found drops on the fron differential.

3. the passenger side window quit working yesterday. The motor still works, but the window doesn't go up or down without being moved by hand.

4. The a/c doesn't work and hasn't worked since i bought it from the previous owner.

5. The front gas tank has a leak or something and doesn't work. Didn't work when i bought it.

There are, and have been, some others, but all in all, not to major problems at all. And none effect or have effected the trucks driving ability.

I love this truck, even with the problems, and there is no way i will give it up for a chevy or a dodge or any other company. I am sure many of you feel the same way about your trucks.

I'm not much of a mechanic but i can tell ya the problem on the window....there's a star shaped kinda like gear on the end of the motor mine did it too and a mechanic suggested changing them out with bearings cause they seem to strip but i used a strong epoxy glue and mines been fine for over a year as far as issues with my truck lets see i have several oil leaks some have gotten severe and it had the original freon in it until about a month ago got in it and bam its bone dry o and i have a hole in my seat lol other than that its rock solid im gonna park it this winter and buy me a small car to drive back and forth to work and go through the truck and make it right... guys i know sometimes things make u wanna sell your truck to the highest bidder but if you go price a new one and think about what your trucks been to you its defiently the best route to just drop a little cash in and keep on truckin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daniel

Quick Reply: What's your problem???