Pre-1997 Models

Spark Knock

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Knock

I have a 93 F150 with a 302 auto. I am still having a problem with spark knock. I have done the sea-foam thing, played with the timing, used higher actane. Still have the problem. I am thinking about changing the knock senor.

My question is has anyone else experienced this problem, and does the knock senor really control the knock?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-21-2005, 10:49 PM
When the truck is running and in closed loop the computer will advance your timing until it sees a signal from the knock sensor, once it sees that signal it will retard the timing back to its starting point, then start advancing it again. It does this constantly as you drive to give you the best combination power and economy. The timing does have an upper limit though, and i would think that with higher octane gas it would prevent the engine from knocking at all. It's worth a try though, spark knock isn't good for your engine. Are you sure that the noise you are hearing is spark knock and not something else?

-Jon

Old 02-23-2005, 07:26 AM
Yes it is spark knock. I know that the injectors can sound like that , but I am sure that it is spark knock.

I think that I will replace the senor and if that doesn't work I will replace the TP senor.

I just don't like to replace parts without knowing what is going on.

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Spark Knock