Pre-1997 Models

Performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 04:24 PM
Tix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance upgrades

I have a 1996 for F-150 with 300 - straight 6
I want to upgrade items to get better performance and mileage. I have bought and installed a k&n airfilter but its just a factory replacement one.... I was wondering about exhaust pipes, should I got to a 3inch pipe, high flow cat,etc?...any suggestions would be great. Concering exhaust upgrade what makes a good sound??

Ps- Yes I'm new

Old 05-28-2004, 10:37 PM
You might want to try Clifford performance (search for their website). I'm not sure how much they have for a 96 but they specialize in high performance inline 6's. An aftermarket exhaust will help but i never really found one that sounded good, i tried flowmaster, Dynomax, and glasspacks and they all sounded like crap. Don't get to crazy with big exhaust pipes and high flow cats because the I6 needs back pressure to make it's low end torque.

After spending a few hundred on performance parts most people around here just swap in a v8. The I6 is the best engine ever made but if you want something that will be cheap and easy to bolt some horsepower onto you want a 302 or 351W.

-Jon

Old 06-01-2004, 11:25 PM
you can get plenty of performance out of that 300, and it does make a big difference with "free" flowing exhaust. im running to stock empty cats to some 3 inch to a flowmaster and the torque off the line is great but it spins through 2nd with 245/40 dunlop w10 sports. i put a intake on and blocked off my egr and smog system put a b&m trans pak in, a 302 throttle linkage. im getting ready to put on elec. fans and a custom manifold with a turbo. email me if you need any info or photos

Old 06-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Here's what I've done so far for performance:

Removed both cats and installed a Catco #9513 hi-flow cat in the pre-cat location followed by a Gibson SuperTruck cat-back.

K&N-FIPK

Dual Electric Fans

Throttle Body Spacer-Waste of $100

I couldn't pick out which one was best out of the E-Fans, Intake or exhaust since I saw a prety large performance increase after each one.

Quick Reply: Performance upgrades