Pre-1997 Models

Stock 302/351 2wd quarter mile times

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 03:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock 302/351 2wd quarter mile times

i am interested in possibly picking up a 92-96 F-150 2WD with either a 302 or 351 and the automatic tranny and am wondering what they run in the quarter mile stock. Looking at probably a regular cab/shortbed/2wd, preferrably a flareside, but the fleetside is a possibility too (not that that matters for the 1/4 mile times...

thanks, Brian

Old 05-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Oh bout 4-5 mins

Old 05-07-2004, 07:05 PM
You lookin for speed stock pre 97s ain't them

I have a 351 SCSB 4X2 with K&N and Gibson
0-60 it about 9.0

Old 05-07-2004, 07:52 PM
I thought they would be quicker? how do they respond to mods? What is the HP/torque in each motor in this application? What is the difference between the 5.0 in a Mustang and the one in the F-150?

Thanks, Brian

Old 05-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by stewlt1
... What is the difference between the 5.0 in a Mustang and the one in the F-150?
Let's see: Intake, cam, heads, exhaust, processor and about 1000# extra lbs. that the truck engine has to haul around, not to mention 4" taller tires and the aerodynamics of a brick. Other than that, not much. A stock 302 powered SWD 2WD truck with an automatic is probably going to run mid 17s, with a 351 you'd be something less than a second quicker.

If you want to go fast don't get a truck.

Old 05-07-2004, 11:47 PM
Well, a fast truck is cool IMHO, I love my bro's RT, and have a few friends with 1st gen Lightnings that rip. I was thinking the 5.0 would carry the 150 to at least a mid 16, a little slower than a 4000 pound T-Bird or Cougar with the 5.0..... Anyways it looks like my 15 second stock Caprice would kill these pretty good, so i guess I'll elsewhere

Brian

Old 05-09-2004, 09:26 PM
my gen1 lightning will run 15.3@89 all motor and 14.6@94 with a 50 shot of nitrous

Old 05-10-2004, 03:07 PM
with a few mods my extended cab short bed 95 F-150 w/ 5.0L ran a 17.4@76. With air intake, long tubes, true dual exhaust, chip, pulleys, 3.73 gears, 2200 stall, I have run a 16.1@82. For just bolt ons, it reacts very well. If it was a reg cab, id proabbly be in the high 15s. That is racing in full weight. Going fast in a truck is the coolest thing IMO also I just wish i was fast lol. My friend with a 95 Lightning with a stock engine with only a T-76 turbo is capable of low 12s@115ish. Trucks can go fast, just takes a little more money than a stang.

Old 05-12-2004, 02:36 AM
Well, after some serious thought, I have decided my best bet would be to find a 92-96 318 Dakota and either switch in a 360 or build the existing 318. the 2WD/RC models are basically low to high 15 second runners in the quarter stock (depends on if you get a 5 speed or automatic). Thanks for the info though guys.

Brian

Last edited by stewlt1; 05-12-2004 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Well all the money you'd dump into that Mopar you'd have a decently quick F150.

Stock heads are just terrible, that's where you power is going to come from. Aside from those, the vehicle simply can't breathe. Stock manifolds are not for performance and neither is the exhaust.

I could type a novel about my mods but I have pretty much what Beastie has and a bit more like e-fans, roller rockers on the way, a GMS/Diablo on the way, and 4.10:1 gears.

Old 05-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Hit Man X
Well all the money you'd dump into that Mopar you'd have a decently quick F150.

Stock heads are just terrible, that's where you power is going to come from. Aside from those, the vehicle simply can't breathe. Stock manifolds are not for performance and neither is the exhaust.

I could type a novel about my mods but I have pretty much what Beastie has and a bit more like e-fans, roller rockers on the way, a GMS/Diablo on the way, and 4.10:1 gears.
Actaully the Dakota is not too hard to work on and the Magnums respond VERY well to modifications! My bro's R/T with the 360 Magnum ran 15.2 stock, with like 3 mods it was running 14.5s@ 96.... Given the 318 is a little different, but it is a few hundred pound lighter truck. They respond very well to simple breathing mods as said, but remember I am also with a truck that is well over 2 seconds quicker in the quarter mile. Anyways, as I see it I will definatly get more performance for the buck in the Dakota. thanks for the replies though.

Brian

Old 05-13-2004, 03:14 AM
Ah dont go with a dodge. The aftermarket is so huge for the 302 and 351, you can build them up cheap. If you took a stock reg cab sbort bed 302, and put on all the basic bolt ons (if you do the right ones), it would run a mid 15. Add a good set of heads, a decent cam, and a new upper/lower intake, you would be in the 14s. Do some tranny work, add some type of traction devices, and regear if you want, and it would run 13s all day long. Or just buy a Gen 1 Lightning, they will run mid 15s stock. They have some great vendors with some awesome products, and you could be in the 12s without spending much money. A fullsize truck going fast is way better than a midsize. Plus how well do the Dodge trannies hold up to the hp? I know a bunch of people with R/Ts and Rams, and they have their fair share of major problems. The parts for those magnum engines just seems like way too much money for what you could get for a 302 or 351. In the end, its up to you. Have fun with whatever you do!

Old 05-13-2004, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by beastie
Ah dont go with a dodge. The aftermarket is so huge for the 302 and 351, you can build them up cheap. If you took a stock reg cab sbort bed 302, and put on all the basic bolt ons (if you do the right ones), it would run a mid 15. Add a good set of heads, a decent cam, and a new upper/lower intake, you would be in the 14s. Do some tranny work, add some type of traction devices, and regear if you want, and it would run 13s all day long. Or just buy a Gen 1 Lightning, they will run mid 15s stock. They have some great vendors with some awesome products, and you could be in the 12s without spending much money. A fullsize truck going fast is way better than a midsize. Plus how well do the Dodge trannies hold up to the hp? I know a bunch of people with R/Ts and Rams, and they have their fair share of major problems. The parts for those magnum engines just seems like way too much money for what you could get for a 302 or 351. In the end, its up to you. Have fun with whatever you do!
Well, I haven't really experienced any issues with the trannies, my bro's truck has 93k miles on the stock tranny and it shifts great, they really respond well to mods too. The amazing thing is that it weighs 4200 pounds, more than a similar Chevy fullsize (not sure of the Ford weight). Anyways, the F-150s are great trucks, but what it would take just to catch up with a stock Dodge 318 kinda kills it for me, besides, I have a lead on a 318/5-speed Dakota for 1600 bucks in great shape. maybe someday.......

brian

Old 05-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Don't buy a dodge! I know a mopar gear head and I asked him where does he go for performance parts and he said the junkyard! Dodge has nothing and is very expensive for what there is. Fords are the best, the availibilty of aftermarket parts and the quality that goes into their stuff, not to mention prices are good. Dodge has nothing and GM's distibuter/coil is way in the back (that's my biggest pet peeve with GM motors ). I don't know what my truck runs, but maybe after I get a smaller blower pulley and a dynotune/chip + i'd have to throw in some 4:10 gears to make up for the 35's I just put on. I'll tow my car to the track and run 'em both!

BTW, what kind of mods was done to your bro's dodge and how much did they cost?

Old 05-13-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Mike12pt
Don't buy a dodge! I know a mopar gear head and I asked him where does he go for performance parts and he said the junkyard! Dodge has nothing and is very expensive for what there is. Fords are the best, the availibilty of aftermarket parts and the quality that goes into their stuff, not to mention prices are good. Dodge has nothing and GM's distibuter/coil is way in the back (that's my biggest pet peeve with GM motors ). I don't know what my truck runs, but maybe after I get a smaller blower pulley and a dynotune/chip + i'd have to throw in some 4:10 gears to make up for the 35's I just put on. I'll tow my car to the track and run 'em both!

BTW, what kind of mods was done to your bro's dodge and how much did they cost?
i hate this i know someone who crap, i have had 1st hand experience with Dodges and they are not crap. of the 3 dodges/3 Fords i have had, the Fords have been FAR more troublesome! My 93 T-Biord with a 5.0 HO, went through everything from tie-rods, to 3 sets of freeze plugs, to a motor that pinged like crazy, to a transmission that was failing for the 2nd time, to, to..... my 91 wasn't too bad, but it blew the heck out of the headgaskets, and don't get me started on my old SHO..... I can't really say what is done to the truck as it is a bit confidential, but needless to say, what it had then was basically a throttle body, pullies, PCM, and cold air, and was hitting mid 14s or right at 700 in mods, it would take MUCH more than that to get a F-150 in the 14s, heck, that may get it into what? the 16s? I thought the 302 F-150s would be quicker than they are to start with, butI was wrong, so be it, i'll get me a Dodge, and be happy, and probably have little or no trouble from it too. BTW, I am not biased, i have owned all, I have a Chevy right now that I love (big old LT1 Caprice I have had for just over a year and has given me 30k hard driven miles with few problems (a fuel pump and a couple front-end parts, but it is currently over 93k miles.)

l8r, brian

Quick Reply: Stock 302/351 2wd quarter mile times