Pre-1997 Models

Removing gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing gas tank

89 F250hd

I need to swap the fuel pump in the rear metal tank, so that entails tank removal.

Reading the Factory Service Manual, the following have to be disconnected:
(after disconnecting the battery +).
  • Clamps on the fuel filler hose.
  • vent hose at the tank neck.
  • Fuel line hairpin clips.
  • Electrical wires to the pump?
  • Nuts which attach the mounting straps.

Thus far, I have been able to find only the 4 nuts for the straps. And I also found the filler hose and see its clamp. Do I remove the clamp on top or also the one on the bottom, too? I see no way to access it.

Where is the rest of this stuff, like vent hose, fuel line, and the electrical wire? I don't want to loosen the straps prematurely and have the tank drop down and tear all that stuff off.

Last edited by polymer; 01-16-2004 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the rest of the stuff in on top of the tank. You have to drop it down a bit and then you can get at all that stuff. Theres not a whole lot of room so you have to do what you can.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Thanks, that makes sense.
Now I have to make a suitable platform for the gas tank, just a few inches under it. Maybe 2x4s, but as I drove it on ramps, I need something bigger.

Old 01-17-2004, 09:03 PM
Maybe you already did it. I did same on rear tank w/88 F250.

If alot of gas in tank, yea, becareful when dropping. Mine only had about 1 gal. in it, so I was able to ease it down by myself.

There may/maynot be a black rubber hose inside fill neck, mine did. I was able to pull it out but couldn't get it back in by myself. Took 1 person, holding/pushing up tank, other person feeding that hose into filler neck, as I recall. Disregard if n/a

Caution...when you go to remove the pump, use a brass drift or pipe nipple w/hammer to get it started, dont want any sparks.

Yes, as you probably know by now, elect. connections etc on top. Tip, after you install new pump and elect, before you put tank back, turn key on to see if you get reading on guage. No, dosent read level, but idicates guage is picking up signal.

Did you fuel level guage quite working? My pump was ok, sending part was bad. After that, front one went out.

Good luck...OT

Last edited by Old Timer; 01-18-2004 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:08 PM
I can save you a lot of anquish on this, trust me. I replaced both pumps on my '93, front and rear. When I first looked at the rear, I thought to my self, there is no frigin way I can get to this stuff. Went and talked to my buddy at my Ford dealership. I asked him how they do it, he said, "six bolts, remove bed, done deal." That is exactley what I did, I can not imagine suffering through any other way. You will thank me when you finish if you remove the bed.

Old 01-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes this is the easy way... But you have to buy beer for your 3 buddys that help lift the bed off.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:40 AM
I wish I had taken the bed off my truck, I did it the hard way, layin on my back fighting that thing. I swear the lip around the gas tank is bigger than the hole you take it out of. I think it was meant to have the bed removed.n Took me 4-5 hrs start to finish and I drank all the beer

Old 11-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Ok so let's blow the dust off of an old thread....

I need to replace my rear fuel tank on my 93 F150 long bed. would it help to remove the bed? or am I making extra work. What else should I do while i'm in there??

Old 11-09-2008, 06:35 PM
I also have done it both ways. They're right. Screw the book method. Just take the bed off. You don't need three guys either. Me and my wife lifted mine off with no problem. Take the tailgate off and it's a lot lighter.

Quick Reply: Removing gas tank