Pre-1997 Models

shudder in 1993 f150

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shudder in 1993 f150

Looking for ab answer that i cannot get anywhere. I hae a 1993 f-150 135,000 mile w/auto trans.

at approx 25 when accelerating the truck shudders. continues to due so until about 40" new fluid, filter, u-joints.

any ideas?

Old 11-16-2003, 08:51 PM
Your problem is in the ignition. Check your plugs first and then work back towards your distributor.

If you haven't done a tune-up in a while, I'd suggest replacing your plugs/plug wires/distributor cap and rotor.

I had the same problem with mine a while ago.

Old 11-16-2003, 09:01 PM
My 95 5.0/AODE would shudder when going uphill without the tranny kicking down. It wasn't continual, just when the engine wasn't reving high. My mechanic told me it was the torque converter trying to lockup. The mechanics in the convertrer get varnished and don't operate properly, thus not allowing the converter to lockup. He poured a jug of "Smart Blend" additive into the tranny, and it's been great since. He said he sees it on a lot of Fords.

Old 11-17-2003, 03:53 PM
I am with sleeve, also if the tranny is in overdrive then the clutches slip alot at low speed. I have a cousin who ownes a transmission shop, he rebuilt mine and installed a shift kit, his advice is to never put the truck in "OD" unless driving 55 mph or faster. He says the ford aod's shift into od too early, the slipping, even though you don't feel it creats heat and causes eventual failure. My truck now has 300k on it and never had trouble again, I have been following his advice for many years. Try driving in 3rd and see if it happens, then try od again. Chances are it won't do it in 3rd, if so then the clutches may be beginning to slip and you may need a rebuild before long. Could also just be the torque converter trying to lock up
As a matter of practice since I am only 10min from work and never get over 55mph, I never put my truck in od at all, unless getting on the interstate or highway to go somewhere.
Let us know what you find out.

Old 11-22-2003, 04:02 PM
tranny

Sounds like my expedition.I had it power flushed and the problem
went away.The shutter is a 3-4 shift.The ford auto trannys are real picky with fluids and have to be precise.An ignition problem would be more of a miss or under load having a cutout problem from plug wires breaking down.

Old 11-22-2003, 05:55 PM
My AOD does the same thing also . gonna have to get it rebuilt soon if i keep this truck .

Old 11-26-2003, 03:29 AM
I agree with what was posted above. drain the tranny fluid from the pan, lines, and torque converter and if you have a aod-e/4r70w refill it with mercron V (the synthetic stuff available only at ford) This should cure the shudder, and doesn't break down as fast as the conventional mercron III. Its spendy, but well worth it. I believe i paid $42 for a case. You should also look into a 'plate' type aux. tranny cooler. The B&M "racing" supercooler is a nice one. The reason why the shudder happens is usually due to exessive heat that breaks down the fluid. Adding a cooler will greatly extend the life of you tranny fluid, and thus your tranny itself.
scott

Old 11-30-2003, 01:20 PM
1993 f-150

I am going to change the fluid in the transmission next week. Can I get the fluid out of the torque conv. without resiorting to an expensive shop flush? beside ne fluide an filter, anything else i should do or put in?

thanks

Quick Reply: shudder in 1993 f150