Pre-1997 Models

Oil pan help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil pan help

Guys,
I was getting my brakes done yesterday and mechanic had it up on the rack and said come here check this out. Oil pan is seriously rusted on my 95 5.8 150. quote to replace with seals, etc, bout $800. OUCH. Anybody know where I can obtain an oil pan used in very good condition?

TIA
Marc

Old 11-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Cool

Marc, inorder to change the oil pan it can be a big job. The pan itself is about $180 CDN and the rest would be the labour and taxes. Inorder to change the pan, they have to lift the motor off of the mounts and sometimes depending upon the mechanic/shop they may have to take the upper intake off inorder to get enough room to do the complete job. I had the same situation with my oil pan and had them change it out. Inorder to get enough room, they removed the upper intake and lifted the motor up to get the oil pan off and out. It is a good time if you are hanging around as the job is being done or just good timing to see up inside of the cylinders to see how everything looks. Look for blow-by marks, marks in cylinder walls, etc and it will give you a good indication as to how the motor is operating. It took just over 9 hours to do my pan when it was done, so depending upon the labour / hr rate and taxes, that price is in the ball park.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Old 11-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Izzy,
Yeah, I know it's a big job! I will prolly have a buddy do it, he is a ford tech for many years, not at a dealer anymore, and his labor rates are great. Sucks to live in the rust belt! I was trying to get through another year before maybe upgrading to the new 150 without having to dump major money in the truck, oh well, somebody will have a nicely maintained 95 150 next year.

Old 11-06-2003, 12:12 PM
Cool

If the pan isn't rusted that bad, you could probably get through that 1 year that you are looking at. Just lightly tap on the good section of the pan and then go to the rusted section. It could be just surface rust that you have and not a big deal at this time. If it is then you can just wire brush it and then re-paint with some good paint and no one will ever know. Well expect the people here !!! LOL !!!!!!!!!

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Old 11-27-2003, 09:45 PM
My solution was to replace the Whole engine!
The labor was a little more... but the Ford reman comes with a new pan...

Quick Reply: Oil pan help