Pre-1997 Models

turn down on muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turn down on muffler?

I have an 86 F-150 with a 302 FI. I recently had muffler shop install a single in/out flowmaster 40 series muffler (with the exit behind the rear tire). This combo did not give me the exhuast tone I was expecting (deep/rumble).

If I cut the tail pipe off and run a short turn down pipe out of the back of the muffler, will this make it louder/deeper. Will it sound good? Will it cause any power/torque loss.

Thanks for the help!!

Old 09-26-2003, 10:12 PM
Not much at all. Sound and performance will remain the same, possibly more droan, probably not.

Last edited by inski21; 09-27-2003 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:33 AM
TF
I have turndowns on my truck and I am very pleased with the way they sound. They echo the exhaust note off the ground which amplifies the sound a bit so it should make your exhaust a little louder. As far as power loss, if anything, you should gain a tad bit of power. You are eliminating several bends and turns in your exhaust pathway which increases exhaust gas velocity which in turn, increases torque. You probably won't feel it, but in theory, it can only help. The only downsides to having turndowns is that the cab drone is more noticeable and if you like having chrome/steel tips, you'll miss them. I for one do not miss having to polish my tips every week

Old 09-28-2003, 06:10 PM
i got a single 3" exhaust (no muffler) with a turn-down right before the rear axle. aabsolutely no power loss. the exhaust sound is definitely more noticeable with the turn down, but interior resonance increased a lot (that bothers most people, but not me ).

Quick Reply: turn down on muffler?