Pre-1997 Models

Code Reader, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Code Reader, HELP!!!

Well, i have had this code reader (auto-xray) for a while now and it has been telling me for a long time that my tps is out of range. Well, i figured it was out of range because of the BBK throttle body, so i figured today, I would replace it w/ the stock one. Well, that really didn't help. The evil check engine light came on even sooner than normal (i think for another reason) and even w/ the original tps it still says

23- Throttle Position Sensor is out of range (this code came w/ both the truck in the "on" position and w/ it running)

The other thing i noticed, after completing my head swap, the idle was running a little higher, not too much but from what my dad and i guessed, probably about 800, instead of the old 650, not the end of the world. Well today, after switching back, the idle must have been at around 1600 and would not go down. The reader gave me this...

12 Cannot control RPM during self check or a problem with idle speed control

13 Can not control rpm low during self test or Idle Speed control inoperative

Other codes that came up were...

33 KOER test not started properly (which i know that one aint good to get)

and last but not least during the running test...

52 Power steering pressure switch open circuit-no changes during self test

There was also 1 memory code that dealt w/ the damn EGR

33 EGR valve closed/ erratic or has insufficient flow

If you can please help me w/ any of these codes, please help. I am going back to school in PA from jersey in 2 weeks and will need my truck, aka i need it running well. If you can help, i will be so grateful

PS. i have had the my chip out for a while, I thought it was the problem but as it turns out, it didnt help.

Old 08-11-2003, 12:18 AM
i know its a lot, but anyone, throw in your 2 cents, cause i need it!!

Old 08-11-2003, 05:57 AM
your 93 5.0L

The high idle is a severe vacuum leak. I'd find and fix that first. I'd say its at the TB gasket or a line near there since it got worse after you monkeyed with that. Re-check your manifold gaskets for vacuum leaks. ANd look at the Egr lines and gasket.

Then check your voltage on the signal wire of the tps and see if it is out of range.

Old 08-11-2003, 07:10 PM
another thing, you shouldn't check KOER until you've fixed and checked all KOEO codes . as far as the idle speed i agree with inski it is a vacuum leak, spray around the intake, TB, and vacuum lines with starting fluid or even wd-40 will work . when you spray where it is leaking you will know . you also need to (also as inski said) check TPS voltage and adjust it to specs.

Quick Reply: Code Reader, HELP!!!