Pre-1997 Models

I think my air pump is going

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my air pump is going

I'm starting to get a slight buzz/squeel, nothing really noticeable but I've been hearing it for a few months now, hasn't really gotten louder.

It was doing it before I replaced my water pump so I know it's not that. And it's coming from the air pump location down below.

What's it do, just pump cool air into the cat? How hard is it to replace and how much should I expect to pay for the pump?

Chris I think I remember reading a while back you replaced yours?

Old 06-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Hey SPROCKET,

Too bad you live in Cali, otherwise you could toss it to the scarp heap (the air pump), but since you guys are responsible with the environment.......

I am assuming that the emissions system on the six is very similar to the eight; On the V-8's the smog pump feeds air to two diverter valves controlled by the ECU. At start up the air is sent to the exhaust port via the back of the head or directly into the exhaust manifold on later models. The air helps ignite unburned fuel when rich at start up and intern increases exhaust temp which heats up the HEGO and cat to operating temp quicker. After warm up the air is diverted to the tube that goes to the cat to help the catalization process. The V-8 pumps are easy enough to replace, I can't imagine yours is any tougher, but I can't say since I don't have a six. I'd go for the salvage yard; Ford will surely want a small fortune for a new one.

CARB sucks!!! Always wanting to stick their nose in everybody’s tail pipe!! LOL!!!

Old 06-30-2003, 05:59 PM
Thanks
It look's simple enough to remove, I may have to remove the lower radiator hose but I doubt it.

I forgot to mention I only hear the buzz/slight squeel at idle.

My passengers don't even hear it so it's not bad yet.

Old 06-30-2003, 06:45 PM
Removing AIR Pump

Hey:

Replacing the AIR/Smog Pump is fairly easy, removing the belts and radiator being the bulk of the work. I think re-built smog pumps are around $70 - $80, including long warranty, at the local Advance here.

My smog pump went a couple years ago at ~100K, but it was only making noise when the engine was cold and under load. Not at idle or after the engine warmed up. In my case it was the bearing.

later

scott

Old 06-30-2003, 09:58 PM
I replaced mine chasing a bearing noise.... it was cheap. Like $30 cheap. Turned out it wasn't the culprit, but for $30 I left it on and saved some time swapping them back out.

Old 07-01-2003, 10:26 AM
You don't have to remove anything other than the belt, two bolts, and a hose clamp. You have to remove it from underneath, though. Mine was cheap, like $30 I think, but it still squeals. Oh well.

BTW, it is a federal offense to buy or sell any emissions parts at a junk yard, so don't even waste your time there.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:33 PM
I searched and found this thread---

I am having a similar problem on my F150 a hissing, like a bad bearing. I think it is the smog pump, and since the alt is new I may just replace it. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

Quick Reply: I think my air pump is going