F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Pre-1997 Models (https://www.f150online.com/forums/pre-1997-models-51/)
-   -   Fuel injectors (https://www.f150online.com/forums/pre-1997-models/120609-fuel-injectors.html)

PKRWUD 07-03-2003 10:57 PM

See, that's what doesn't make any sense. There should be some code other than 111 present if the ECM is faulty, and definitely if the O2's aren't working. But if it went through KOER, with no codes, and the O2's weren't working, then it would have to be the ECM. Tell you what, let's confirm your suspicions about the O2 sensors instead. Try running the KOER codes again, but unplug the O2 sensors from the harness. If it comes back with a passing code, the ECM has to be faulty.

olefafl 07-04-2003 03:24 PM

Originally posted by PKRWUD
Tell you what, let's confirm your suspicions about the O2 sensors instead. Try running the KOER codes again, but unplug the O2 sensors from the harness. If it comes back with a passing code, the ECM has to be faulty.
I will give it a try on Monday.

Thanks for the help.:beers:

Ford4ever 07-04-2003 03:50 PM

Unfortunately there is no way to test the ecm without tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment. You basically just eliminate every other possibility first. Even the repair manual will say "try another ecm" at the bottom of the diag tree.

BTW. it's a bad idea to run a computer controlled vehicle without the battery hooked up.

-Jon

olefafl 07-04-2003 11:38 PM

Originally posted by Ford4ever
Unfortunately there is no way to test the ecm without tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment. You basically just eliminate every other possibility first. Even the repair manual will say "try another ecm" at the bottom of the diag tree.

BTW. it's a bad idea to run a computer controlled vehicle without the battery hooked up.

-Jon

When I called Ford about testing the computer, I couldn't get them to understand that I didn't want codes read, I wanted the computer tested. They finally gave me a price of $75.00 to test it, but I think all they want to do is read codes.

I never ran the truck with the battery unhooked. I had it unhooked when I replaced the injectors.

olefafl 07-07-2003 07:04 PM

See, that's what doesn't make any sense. There should be some code other than 111 present if the ECM is faulty, and definitely if the O2's aren't working. But if it went through KOER, with no codes, and the O2's weren't working, then it would have to be the ECM. Tell you what, let's confirm your suspicions about the O2 sensors instead. Try running the KOER codes again, but unplug the O2 sensors from the harness. If it comes back with a passing code, the ECM has to be faulty.

Pulled the O2 plug, light came on by the time I got 2 miles going to lunch. Hooked the scanner up, O2s bad, lean bank 1. :mad:
No volts to O2 sensor (of course not, not hooked up)

Hooked it back up, no light.
Hooked it back up, still no volts for O2.

Going to shoot truck now. :devil:

PKRWUD 07-08-2003 07:51 AM

Is it possible that there's a problem with your scan tool?

olefafl 07-08-2003 10:41 AM

Is it possible that there's a problem with your scan tool?
Its a coworkers scan tool. Got about 6 months ago, made by Mac, don't know the #. I asked about getting one, its about $650-700.00

I talked to Ford about checking it out, they want $70.00 now. I may do that just so I can get it fixed.:(

PKRWUD 07-08-2003 11:44 AM

Well, Mac puts out quality tools. I just don't understand how it can be that there is no voltage coming from the O2 sensors, and it doesn't trip a code.

If you go to Ford, please post whatever they find.

olefafl 07-09-2003 08:12 AM

I took my 4 1/2 week old son the see an old coworker of mine. I let him know that an old boss was opening up another rental store.

He said the timing chain could be the problem. Will check it out, and with the front off, I may put a cam in also.

Who makes a good cam for this truck?

ccnseven 07-09-2003 01:48 PM

Crane's got some good ones and they know their stuff.:thumbsup:

PKRWUD 07-10-2003 03:37 AM

Originally posted by olefafl
He said the timing chain could be the problem. Will check it out, and with the front off, I may put a cam in also.
There's an easy way to find out without pulling everything apart. Get a breaker bar and a socket for the crank bolt, take the distributor cap off, and while rocking the breaker bar (crank) back and forth, watch the rotor. If there is much slop in the timing chain, there will be a big lag in the movement between the two.

Take care,
~Chris

olefafl 07-10-2003 07:33 AM

There's an easy way to find out without pulling everything apart. Get a breaker bar and a socket for the crank bolt, take the distributor cap off, and while rocking the breaker bar (crank) back and forth, watch the rotor. If there is much slop in the timing chain, there will be a big lag in the movement between the two.

Take care,
~Chris

Thats what I did. Its fine.

Going to pull the battery cable, and put the scanner on it as soon as I hook it back up today.