Pre-1997 Models

Saw something awesome today

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw something awesome today

A guy one of my friends goes to school with has a Gen 1 Lightning. Well he never tells anyone what he has done to it, but today I met up with him, and got him to pop the hood. To my surprise as I was walking up, I could see some piping through his wheel well going to an intercooler. Well he pops the hood, and there it is, a T-7? turbo. Yes turbo. He had a really nice setup. Shorty headers going to it and the works. He really wouldnt let me look at it, and I didnt push the subject. He can beat a new Mustang GT, his friend has one, and when they left from where he was, he got on it going like 30 mph and smoked the tires. It was really cool, I only wish the guy wasnt so secrative. I thought it was sweet. It really has me thinking/ wanting now. I would ove to get a setup like he had, but it would essentially waste my true dual setup. So I was thinking I will have ot convicne my dad first, but I will either get a centrifical blower, powerdyne, paxton (if I can find it), or a custom ATI, or this was the biggie, I saw a guy that put twin Eaton M-90s on his 5.0 stang. While I wouldnt want twin, he had them off a Supercoupe, where they were mounted upside down, and have some kind of adapter that goes fro mthe blower and makes it into a 3 or so inch pipe, so that it can be easily connected into the intake piping. Apperently this was standard on the Supercoupes, so I will either need to buy one off Ebay, or get one i nthe junkyard, and then the only other hard part would be to get the bracket that holds the blower off to the side of the manifold above the valve cover, unless anyone knows of a manifold for the 5.0, that an Eaton will bolt up to. Other than that I would just need a custo mtune and fuel upgrades, and then I would have that awesome off idle power, and the WHINE of an Eaton. Oh I would get a PSD intercooler also.

Old 03-21-2003, 02:36 AM
See look how cheap I can get an M-90 for, and most are in relatively good condition. http://search.ebay.com/search/search...Sort&query=m90
And this is the guy that has dual m-90s, and the brackets he has. It looks like only the bolts on the front of the block hold it on, and the rest just sits on a valve cover. I am sure wit ha little negotiation this would work on the truck.
http://www.toohighpsi.com/SCTC/sctc.htm look at the brackets.

Old 03-21-2003, 10:04 AM
That would be sweet Beastie.

I'm sure PKRWUDs site could help you out a lot, there's a lot of guy's there with modded out 5.0 Stangs.

Old 03-21-2003, 10:30 AM
Before you buy, check the rpm/boost curves for an M90 on a 5.0 ltre engine. If they're the right size for a 3.8, they may be a bit too small for a 5.0.

Old 03-21-2003, 11:49 AM
The M-90 is also what comes on the Allen/Magnacharger setup for the 97+ 4.6 and 5.4L F-150s. So I think it will work perfectly.

Sprocket, I posted over there too, I knew they would be able to help.

Old 03-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Hey Beastie,

If you are wanting to put the squeeze on, I would ask you two questions:

1. Why do you want to use pieces parts to fabricate a system when so many pre-engineered systems exist already? You think you will save money, but in the long run all the custom work and unforeseen obstacles will probably end up costing you double a pre-engineered system, not to mention you won't know if it will even work like you want until it is done. Swapping out turbos and blowers from other vehicles is not a bolt-on; they were designed specifically for the vehicle/engine combination.

2. Why haven't you considered the Kenne Bell Whipple charger system, it was made for low end torque advantage which is ideal for truck applications. Centrifugal superchargers and turbos perform better as RPM's increase and don't give the low speed torque that a truck needs, that's why they work better on Mustangs. If you are wanting to make a drag truck where top end performance and max HP are the ultimate goal then a centrifugal or turbo set-up would be better, but for a street truck, a roots type or twin screw design like Kenne Bell is superior for low end torque production, which is what gets you of the line fast.

Check out the site, lots of info:

http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...lighting58.htm

This also replaces the intake manifold, so there is no need to spend money on an intake if you do it this way. Just something to think about.

Old 03-21-2003, 04:15 PM
Look how much the Kenne Bell costs though. I can get an Eaton for $100, get a brack made, my dads work could do it, and get the exhaust shop I goto to make the piping for under $100. and I can ge ta PSD intercooler, which gen 1 L people use for trucks, and it isnt expensive at all. Then I would just need a custom tune. If I want to get more boost, above 6 or so, I can easily upgrade the fuel system. Then when I pop the hood there will be something custom on there, that I know I put together. If the kenne bell and stuff didnt cost so much I would get them. If I can find them cheap, maybe I will. Does anyone know if paxton still sells there kit for our trucks. And If I get any centrifical blower kit for a stanf with the 5.0, how difficult would it be to put on?

I dont know, everytime I look at the Kenne Bell ,tha ttwin scre setup is just awesome. Where cna I get this for a decent price?

Last edited by beastie; 03-21-2003 at 04:18 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 03-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Fast Pony,
I agree with you in general about centrifugals being inappropriate for trucks although they've come a long way in the last few years in terms of providing mid-range boost. Turbos are not at all inappropriate however. An appropriately sized turbo will provide boost wherever in the RPM range you size it for and if sized for low to mid-range power will have very little turbo lag.

BTW the Eaton blowers are positive displacement, sort of a cross between a Rootes and a Lysholm (i.e. Whipple) in design with efficiencies that approach the Lysholm.

If you have any fabricating skills a turbo is a fairly easy installation. The problems are all in the control systems and those are similar for any type of blower.

Old 03-21-2003, 10:05 PM
Currently my truck has all the power I wold ever need to do any towing that I do, and it has more than enough power for city driving, so maybe Iwould be better off going with a centrifugal supercharger or a turbo setup. If I did a turbo setup, it would have to be a twin one, so that I can retain my true dual exhaust setup. But maybe that would work good, if I got one small one, and one big one.

Old 03-24-2003, 12:14 PM
The BBK Instacharger uses the Eaton blower, have you ever seen it? Originally designed to work with Mustangs, it could probably be adapted to a truck, but you'd have to change to a Mustang style intake.

There is a picture of one on this page, see page 4 of the PDF:

http://www.hi-performance.com/catalo.../PG122-125.pdf

Old 04-01-2003, 06:02 PM
I don't agree with going with a roots blower over a turbo. I have a Paxton on my truck and a turbo on my stang. with a very mild 351 in my coupe and a little T66 turbo my car made 502 FT LBs of torque at the rear wheels on pump gas with 8lbs of boost at 3000 rpms. The only reason I got the blower was becasue I got a sweat deal on it. Now my trucks perofrmance is still a hell of alot better over just a N/A 302, but if I ever get rid of my blower on my truck I will replace it with a Turbo for sure just because of the torque output Just my .02 cents

Quick Reply: Saw something awesome today