Pre-1997 Models

Tranny Cooler I got

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Cooler I got

Well after alot of research, I think I made the right choice. The Ford cooler is the stacked plate design, so thats what I stayed with, I ordered the B&M Transmissions Super Cooler 24,000 GVW, 11 in. x 6 in. x 1 1/2 in. The one on my truck is actually bigger than this one, it is 11 x 7 1/2, but that was B&Ms big thing about this cooler is that its the smallest and the lightest and most efficient cooler, so I got it. It is rated at 24,000 GVW, and that was the largest I could find, I wonder what is on the truck now? Well it was either this, or a Perma Cool 10x15" Tube and fin cooler, and they were rated at the same GVW, but this one is smaller, and it looks like I will be able to use the Ford brackets to mount it up. So does this sound like the right desicion, I know there is a big debate as to which design cooler is better, I said I will just stick with what Ford used. So will this cooler keep my tranny under 190 degrees?

Old 02-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Good choice staying with the stack plate design as they are more efficient. I am puzzled however, why did you replace your existing one with a B&M that is about the same size, was your existing one craping out? I have a '93 and it has a slightly smaller cooler than the 94-96 model, so I was going to install a new cooler like your existing on mine to update to the larger stack plate cooler, unless of course I can get a B&M cheaper. I basically get wholesale on most Ford parts I buy because I know the Assistant Parts Manager at my dealer very well. As far as your temps go, that depends on what you decided to do converter wise. I am installing a trans temp gauge for when I'm pulling heavy loads, that way I'll know for sure and can stop and cool down before the tranny smokes if it gets too hot. A deep sump aluminum pan with increased fluid holding capacity will help you run cooler too.

Old 02-07-2003, 05:31 PM
I got a larger one because with my 2200 stall converter, the tranny shop said I should get a larger cooler. 24,000 GVW was the largest cooler I could find, and if it is smaller than the factory one, I guess it must have a more efficient design to it, I mean my truck is 8 years old, I am sure they have improved stuff over time. If something 11x6x 1 1/2 can cool as well as a tube and fin one that is 11x15x 3/4, I was all for it, it wont block my radiator as much as the larger perma cool.

Quick Reply: Tranny Cooler I got