Church, God, wealth.... can all three coexist in your preacher?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Church, God, wealth.... can all three coexist in your preacher?

Politics doesn't get our motors running any longer, maybe religion will.

How about this hard hitting(hating) expose'.

I believe this guy, Furtick, is connected to lifeChurch.tv also.....

http://peterlumpkins.typepad.com/pet...-scrutiny.html

Old 10-26-2013, 12:01 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Sorry, that's not the way I was raised. Churches are not supposed to be businesses, monies collected are supposed to be used for charitable purposes.

The church I went to when I was a kid was a fairly wealthy church, but the minister lived in the rectory in the back of the church and drove a plain black basic Chevy. The church was highly regarded in the community for its support.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a reason these churches become mega, usually there teaching is something that tickles the attendee' s ears.

But just like government, too big equals out of controll.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by jgger
There is a reason these churches become mega, usually there teaching is something that tickles the attendee' s ears.

But just like government, too big equals out of controll.
Yep and yep.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-26-2013, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our preacher gets a healthy 6 figure salary, as many other Methodist ones do. I don't get it honestly . . . But that guy looks like a 25 year old young punk. Creating a church that big is one thing, but becoming a celebrity because of it is another. He seems self absorbed like Joel Osteen. Osteen's church has his name plastered all over it. I'm the biggest proponent and supporter of the wealthy, but not if that's how it's acquired. Seems to me that he saw a business opportunity, and it just so happens to be a church.

I don't want to rip on him too much, because I'm sure he has gotten thousands into church who otherwise wouldn't be. What's the overall message of (his) mega church(es) and are they sincere? Who knows. But no way I'd ever attend something so impersonal. 100,000 people in one congregation - no.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 10-26-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. Furtick is a well-known heretic.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
the bigger they are the harder the fall.....imo

Old 11-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
interesting question,

can a man be a preacher, have a political view and be wealthy?

i have learned that with most wealthy people there is always a story. either grandpa invented something, family had lots of property, dad started a company or guy invented something or was in the right place at the right time.

if a man brings 1000's of people to a church, church takes in $25mill plus a year and gives to mission, helping community and pays cash for items, can a preacher take a $500k salary.

another preacher goes thru the motions, church does not grow, very few new member, but he only takes a $20k salary.

in the end who was a better person, christian? dont know.

do a google search for billy grahams net worth.

there is so much more to a person than a salary or a house. until you know the whole story, how can you say one man is better or worse than another.

there ar a lot of big churches that change people life for the better, the big churches have the abilty to offer consuling, youth programs, and local employeement. I am not saying it is all good, but i am saying it is not all bad.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 AM
A few years ago, a friend invited me to services to the new Christian Church she attended. She really liked it and thought I would too. I was impressed with the architecture of the building, and how inviting the place felt. That said, the sermon (if you could call it a sermon) was more like a budget meeting. What they needed money for, and how they needed the congregation to attract more followers to meet their financial needs.

After the service she asked what I thought. I told her how I felt it had more of a business feel that a worship feel. She was appalled. She told me they need the money to help others. I asked how they helped others and she couldn't describe a single program designed to help anyone with anything, but they could help more people with more money.

I never went back. Just kind of felt wrong to me.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank S
No. Furtick is a well-known heretic.
Ah... but well known in what circles my well read friend?

It is all in the eye of the beholder!

A heretic to one is a messiah to another.

I suggest you read less John Calvin and more Calvin and Hobbes.

I miss ya' Frank!!!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by serotta

I miss ya' Frank!!!
Calvin and Hobbes! Lol!

Old 11-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by serotta

I miss ya' Frank!!!
I compare what someone (preacher, etc) says with Scripture. Always.

http://apprising.org/2013/01/20/stev...in-60-seconds/

Love ya, serotta.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:35 AM
To answer the question, of course they can coexist. There is nothing wrong with being wealthy, and being a pastor. Pastors should earn a living through the church, because that's how they feed their families. Pastors should be given raises based on the amount of work they do, just like any other job. If they write books, they should be allowed to publish and sell them, and get royalties from them. Pastors are servants of God just like we are servants of God. We rely on God's blessings everyday just like Pastors do.

Pastors are fallen people just like us too. They can be corrupted just like you and me. Some Pastors tend to take more from the church, lie, and cheat. But just like us we are all accountable to God for what He gives us. I think as long as Pastors are living within their means and not showing off how rich they are, it's ok. I don't think its ok to ask the church for more tithes. All churches should have budget meetings to show where the tithes go. If the church is short on funds then they should rely on God for help. I personally don't like it when they pass around the bucket looking for money. My church in Germany always had the collection baskets in front of the stage or in the back so you can give as God leads you to give during the worship service. Lot of people gave much more than their so called "required 10%" when it was done this way because they didn't feel pressured.

Most churches have budget meetings. I'd advise you to be a part of those meetings and vote so you know exactly where your money is going to. If the church excludes you from those meetings then I would advise you to attend another church.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by sgtpatiolantern
A few years ago, a friend invited me to services to the new Christian Church she attended. She really liked it and thought I would too. I was impressed with the architecture of the building, and how inviting the place felt. That said, the sermon (if you could call it a sermon) was more like a budget meeting. What they needed money for, and how they needed the congregation to attract more followers to meet their financial needs.

After the service she asked what I thought. I told her how I felt it had more of a business feel that a worship feel. She was appalled. She told me they need the money to help others. I asked how they helped others and she couldn't describe a single program designed to help anyone with anything, but they could help more people with more money.

I never went back. Just kind of felt wrong to me.
The church service is used to worship God and to lead lost people to Christ, not to beg for money. Don't let this discourage you from finding a church to help you to Christ, and to serve Him. Remember, church is a place to worship God and to equip you to help others to Christ!

Old 09-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
He seems self absorbed like Joel Osteen. Osteen's church has his name plastered all over it. I'm the biggest proponent and supporter of the wealthy, but not if that's how it's acquired.
IIRC Joel makes all his money from his books that he writes and takes no paycheck from the church. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Quick Reply: Church, God, wealth.... can all three coexist in your preacher?