Media coverage of gas prices going up

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Media coverage of gas prices going up

Here is just one more example of the MSM providing cover for their guy:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/julia-s...ore-bush-obama

Rising gas prices used to be big news, but not so these days. Although the national average climbed to $3.56 on Feb. 20, setting a February record after going up nearly a month straight, there was far less coverage than in 2008. Broadcast networks repeatedly covered the rise under the Bush presidency. Gas prices bounced around eventually reaching $3.56-a-gallon on April 24, 2008.

The Business and Media Institute analyzed broadcast network news references to gas or fuel prices between Jan. 20 and Feb. 20, 2012 and from March 24 and April 24, 2008. BMI found that in the 2008 period there were more than 4 times as many gas prices stories, news briefs or news headlines on ABC, CBS and NBC as there were in 2012 (97 to 21).

Coverage during the time periods differed not only in quantity, but in tone as well. During Bush’s tenure, gas prices were a huge economic threat and cause of suffering. The networks also used the high gas prices to attack the administration. In 2012, the networks aired mostly matter-of-fact stories on the rising gas prices, and worried primarily that they would hinder the economic recovery, not that they are making people suffer.

Dismal broadcast network reports about “skyrocketing” gas prices filled the newscasts in 2008. There were reports about businesses closing, airlines struggling and truckers protesting -- all because of the high prices. One ABC report said families were facing the “tough choice” between food or fuel. Others said that “wallets were running on empty” and consumers were told over and over that there was no relief in sight. But by the end of November 2008, prices had collapsed to $1.82.

The networks weren’t simply reporting the painfully high gas prices in early 2008 though, in many cases they were exaggerating them. NBC’s “Today” focused on Redwood City, Calif. on March 6 where regular gasoline cost $3.99, according to the photograph NBC aired. The national average for gas that day was $3.19 a gallon. Ann Curry also failed to tell viewers that California has the highest state gasoline tax in the nation, a whopping 45.5 cents a gallon at that time.

On gasoline specifically, reporters have routinely showed photos of extreme pump prices despite lower national averages. The Business and Media Institute documented this trend in 2007, 2006 and 2005.

But now, in 2012, gas prices stories are very different. “[W]e’re seeing gas prices creep up every single week,” said one ABC reporter after delivering a positive economic report about the Dow Jones Industrial Average closing in on 13,000 for the first time since 2008. One CBS story just pointed out that if certain steps are taking against Iran, gas prices everywhere could move sharply higher.

Although the time periods BMI analyzed were the same length and ended with the same national average price for gasoline, due to price fluctuations they were not identical. In 2008, prices rose from $3.26 to $3.56 in the month we examined. In 2012, prices were already higher ($3.38 on Jan. 20).

Old 02-22-2012, 01:47 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Fox is making a BIG to-do about the gas prices and pointing some pretty sharp fingers................

Old 02-22-2012, 02:39 PM
the speculation is rising the prices

Old 02-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by dixie_boysles
the speculation is rising the prices
Maybe, but that is not the topic of this thread.

This thread is about the contrast in media reporting when gas prices do rise.

Bush in the White House? It's the President's fault. He hates poor people.

Obama in the White House? Hey, it's probably a good thing, lol.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:48 PM
The propaganda machine never stops turning. It goes hand in hand with the war machine. Surprisingly easy to read between the lines.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Fox is making a BIG to-do about the gas prices and pointing some pretty sharp fingers................
This study was about Network News (CBS, ABC, NBC) not Cable News.............FOX News, MSNBC, CNBC, CNN, etc were not part of this study, but I am sure the results would be about the same if they were..............

Old 02-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
The whole attitude about gas has changed in the past 10 or 15 years. I can remember when gas went over 2 bucks a gallon for awhile. Everyone was buying locking gas caps and siphoning gas became a new crime target area.

People were talking about selling their cars or drastically cutting back on driving if it went over 2.50

Now with gas hovering at 4 bucks, I don't have a locking gas cap and I haven't heard a single peep about gas thefts. People are driving more not less. I still see gas guzzlers all over the neighborhood. Back then I had three cars, now I have five and none of them are stingy with gas. I'm nowhere near rich, we've just repositioned our priorities and spend more of our disposable income on gas.

Just saying values are changing....... screw the MSM if you ain't made up your mind now you certainly shouldn't be letting them shape your opinions.

Trending Topics

Old 02-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by serotta
....<snip>...

Just saying values are changing....... screw the MSM if you ain't made up your mind now you certainly shouldn't be letting them shape your opinions.
This is the reason to point it out.

A lot of voters do none of their own research, and only have the attention span of a nat.
They listen to sound bites and headlines from the talking heads at the MSM, and use that to make a decision on voting.

Why do you think Buffet's sound bite on how he pays less in taxes than his secretary got so much millage ?
People are in too much of a hurry to to get back to playing Angry Birds or Words with Friends on their phone to do any actual reading or fact checking.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by serotta
The whole attitude about gas has changed in the past 10 or 15 years. I can remember when gas went over 2 bucks a gallon for awhile. Everyone was buying locking gas caps and siphoning gas became a new crime target area.

People were talking about selling their cars or drastically cutting back on driving if it went over 2.50

I remember when gas went over a dollar a gallon. Back then the stations had to tape A 1 on left of the cents.. The machine could not even go over a buck...God I went and got old

Old 02-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I remember always going to the station and getting a dollars worth of regular, an attendant pumped it for you too.

Today if you asked for a dollars worth of gas they'd take you dollar, fart, turn around and walk off.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
A lot of voters do none of their own research, and only have the attention span of a nat.
They listen to sound bites and headlines from the talking heads at the MSM, and use that to make a decision on voting.
Its pretty scary isn't it?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:27 PM
The hypocracy is amazing. Well, not really. We should be used to it by now.

When gas prices were high in '08 it hurt small businesses like the one that I work for. This year, after a few years of less than stellar revenue, these high gas prices hurt even more than they did in '08. The cost of doing business has been rising. High gas prices just add to the burden that small businesses cary. I'm getting to the point where I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to try to run a small business.

I wish I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Now, I'm not so sure it's actually there.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wittom
...I wish I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Now, I'm not so sure it's actually there.
The good news is, it's there.

The bad news is, there's a train coming.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 PM
This is almost a year old, but relevent to this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKdSc...yer_detailpage

Old 02-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by harleydude78
Its pretty scary isn't it?
incredibly scary. Look what happened with the election in 2008, a bunch of people that voted for a sound bite.

Nothing to do with being able to do the job, nothing about qualifications to do the job, just hope & change.

What change is there ?
- A health Care law that is about to hit the street full bore, that is no longer funded ( going off the assumption that the CBO does not know how to add and the 111th congress could ) due to waivers.
- instead of drilling in the US areas, the US is "partnering" with Mexico to drill for oil. The 2nd South American country we have "partnered" with to get oil. Why not allow a pipe line that would get Canadian oil to the gulf for better ? Sorry can't do that. Toss money to a country that thumbs their nose at us, and keeps holding a hand out.
- Starting new "conflicts" War was bad before, but this administration got the defense budget increased . Faster than Republicans did.
- The POTUS sings, that is change...

What hope is there ?
- The street is expecting Unemployment to bump back up to 9% again in the next report. Independent poll companies already did the same UE questions to the same people that the BLS did, and already released their findings. Look for it to not be 9% with the ratio off set that is applied to the numbers that are given to the BLS. Keep in mind, they outlook was for 8%, and the last number were basically there already ( what is 25 or 50 basis points between "friends" ).

I was not expecting anything less, it is a Chicago politician....

Keep in mind, there was nothing about experience in the entire campaign.

I find it strange, how Clinton was all over him and now she is fine working for him...

Quick Reply: Media coverage of gas prices going up