The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

Bowfishing with a sling shot

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bowfishing with a sling shot

any guys out there bow fish??

A buddy of mine got me into it. Although i dont archery hunt i would use his compound bow but i shoot lefty so being very inexperienced with a bow and at that shooting with my non-dominant side it was a rough trip i didnt hit anything but still i had a blast.

I wanted to get my own set up but couldnt justify sinking a couple hundred bucks into something i might do once or twice a year. I discovered there are guys altering wrist rockets to shoot arrows (slingbows)

this is what i got goin on so far i need to get arrows and also need to figure out what kind of string to attach to.

Now this is a some what controversial sport due to the fact that animals are being killed and not eaten so dont bash me on the topic please but the fish we are shooting are a very invasive species non-native to the river.....asian carp out of the Illinois River so i justify it ethically that way.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bowfish and shoot left handed. Forget about using a compound bow unless it's made for bowfishing. They are not made to be snap shot like you do in bowfishing and if you go to full draw you will burn through all but the biggest of fish and be dead tired in no time flat. Look around the pawn shops for a cheap recurve if you don't want to sink much money into it. You don't need much as far as draw weight goes, my bowfishing bow only has a max draw weight of 30# and it will go right through anything but a big carp or buffalo if I draw it back all the way.

Aim low!!!

Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 PM
I just did a project on them in limnology. You should look into this

Old 03-02-2013, 01:35 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That is FUNNY...........Weird..........but funny.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:39 AM
I know the guy who works for the Indiana DNR that is trying to keep them out of the Great Lakes via Indiana waters. It's my understanding that the Asian Carp are good eating. If you are killing them, you might as well try cooking them up, too.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never tried the Asian carp but from what I've heard carp are hit or miss. Some will taste good others will be nasty. Most of the time we end up getting a lot of gar, some catfish and a few carp. We keep the catfish and let the coons eat the rest. If someone has a problem with it they can come eat all the gar I shoot. I don't really like touching the nasty things so there's no way I'll be putting one in my mouth.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 PM
That YouTube video cracks me up I have seen that before. But has anyone here set up a sling shot to shoot arrows? And if so what kind or retrieval system you have set up?

Old 03-23-2013, 05:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bowfish you say...oh yeah...we bowfish like crazy here on the Pamunkey river in virginia...that slingshot looks pretty interesting and fun..

Quick Reply: Bowfishing with a sling shot