The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

Best Setup For off-roading???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 01:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Setup For off-roading???

I just got a 1998 F-150 4x4 with the 5.4L V8 Triton and LT265/75R16s. I traded in my 98 Ford Ranger 4x4 with a 3" body lift, 32" mudders, etc. What's the best setup for the F-150s??? I don't wanna mess with a body lift again. Too much trouble with aftermarket frame mounted accessories. Pics of other rigs would be nice. Thanks

Old 07-29-2001, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it an extended cab? If so, your gonna be limmited by your long wheelbase, and you might high center really easily if you don't have a good spotter. In the mud, these beasts rule! They are great in the sand as well. On the rocks, I'd stay away if I were you cause you're gonna bang your truck up pretty good. It's too big and too wide, and doesn't have a good breakover angle, or aproach and departure angles for that matter. Now, so things you can do to make it better, remove your front bumper and get a replacement made, this will allow you to run bigger tires and have a better approach angle. Personally, I prefer the pre-runner style bumpers, unfortunately, the only ones being made are just light bars, you would have to go custom to make it stout enough to act as your bumper. Or you can get a ranchhand full replacement. RCD makes a killer 5" lift for these trucks, that will allow you to run 35" tires with ease and probably even 36's with a new bumper. Hopefully, that should get you started on some good offroad mods. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Quick Reply: Best Setup For off-roading???