new to Drivetrain Forum....quick question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 02:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new to Drivetrain Forum....quick question

Hey all,

First time post in the Drivetrain forum, I have a '01 F150 SuperCrew 4x4, 5.4L, with 3:55.

What's all involved in changing to say the 3:73 or 4:10? I've recently gotten bit by the mod bug (I swear it's as bad as West Nile) and thought about possibly doing this to help give my truck some pep.

I currently have:

Superchips F150 Tuner, AF1 Intake Kit, Dual Electric fan kit from Mike Troyer, Ravin Z55 exhaust.

I don't have a clue as to what's all involved in this so your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by braboin; 09-21-2002 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-28-2002, 02:15 AM
Lightbulb

Ring gear carrier stays the same. You will need a ring & pinion and an install kit. Many people only put minimum parts in diff. when they change ratio. I have set up several hundred diff's. I always use new bearings when I change a ratio.

If you have never set-up a diff. (with success), I would seek a professional with this job.

3.55 to 3.73 is such a small difference. Why not go to 4.10? I wouldn't waste the money on such a small jump.

Old 10-03-2002, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the feedback. If I do decide this, your opinions of 4:10 over 3:73 will probably pursuade me to go that route. You know more about the differences between them than I so I'd be taking your word.

And I agree I'd have to obtain a pro to do this one....which is probably why I won't be doing it for some time. $$$$$

Thanks for the info again.

Quick Reply: new to Drivetrain Forum....quick question