Someone with helms manual help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Someone with helms manual help

On the rear diff housing there is a brass block that the brake lines and vent tube are attached to. Mine is leakeng gear oil at this location. Does this block screw in or is it pressed in or how do you remove it? I put a hose clamp on the vent so I know it isn't coming from there. Any thoughts on best way to seal it up? It is a 2000 xlt x-cab with 3:55. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-01-2001, 09:23 PM
I have a 2000 factory manual and looked at the parts drawing for you. It shows a brake line block, vent, and hose. So they are using the vent as a means of securing the brake line block to the axle housing. It is a hollow bolt and should unscrew. Is the fluid level too high? I probably see a 100 cars a week on a lift and have never seen one leak there.

------------------

2000 XLT Bright red, Flareside,extended cab,sport,5.4,bedrug,Extang tonneau.

Old 06-01-2001, 11:46 PM
Thank you very much nitro94 for taking the time to look this up. No the fluid level isn't to high, it is below the fill hole 1/4". I hope I didn't misslead you, it isn't dripping but it is for sure seeping from between the block and housing. It must be seeping past the threads in the bolt. I guess I will remove the bolt and put some sealer on the threads. I wonder if the bolt didn't get tightened completly during assembly. I noticed the wetness arouned the block since it was new.

Old 06-02-2001, 12:01 AM
Also, does it give a torque spec for the bolt? I have been a tech for nine years now and haven't seen this either. I went out and looked and saw the bolt head under the hose. Dont know how I missed that when I put the clamp on. Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: Someone with helms manual help