4.10's and powertrax installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 4.10's and powertrax installed

Well I finally did it i got my 4.10's and powertrax installed, my very first reaction was scared, there were a few loud pops the first 60' then some ratcheting out of the driveway. 24 hours later my reaction is dam now I need traction bars The gears and locker are AWSOME the locker will take some getting used to, but the ratcheting and poping is nearly gone. I can still barely hear it turning real slow into my driveway or parking space. but the hookup and acceleration are awsome, I did experence some wheel hop but thats no biggie. I will post later to tell of any changes in the locker

Old 04-23-2002, 07:50 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jabber,
Welcome to the club. Have fun but take it easy on those gears for the first 500 miles or so.
I was on one of the local dirt roads yesterday and punched it from a stop. The truck launched like it use to on asphalt throwing dirt and gravel with both wheels. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2002, 07:55 AM
Jabber,

What was the total cost of the gears and Powertrax system installed? This sounds like a "must have mod"!

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2002, 07:06 PM
FREE!!!!!!!!

A friend and myself did the install (friends a mechanic) I don't recommend tackling it yourself unless you know what your doing.

Old 04-23-2002, 08:57 PM
jabber

what was the price on the gears and locker then?? I am about to do a gear change to 4.10's too but am trying to figure out how much the gears and locker are gonna set me back.

thanks
justin

Old 04-23-2002, 09:51 PM
WLF
just_right,
Gears are about $200. The Powertrax unit about $400 to $450. You really should do new bearings about another $100. Also you need a new seal and rear lube. This is for one axel.
Best prices for gears and bearings are at Randy's ring and pinion but you better check with who ever you are going to do the install. Some will not warantee if you don't buy the parts from them. My local shop quoted me $650 for the powertrax unit and I bought it on-line for $400.
Shop around and have fun...

Old 04-24-2002, 04:03 PM
Cool prices

The richmond gears and ratech install kit I got from summit--gears were 186 the kit was 120. The powertrax I got at NTB for 392. I believe there site is ntb.com.

Old 04-27-2002, 08:44 PM
Question powertrax problems

To anyone with powertrax, im having some issues
First the locker doesn't seem to always lock when I take off from the line -- shouldn't it always be locked except when turning secondly the locker sometimes stays locked around turns and you hear the tires chirping (not from excess speed) but from one being "drug" around the corner. does anyone else have these problems or is this normal? thanks for replying

Old 05-01-2002, 09:03 AM
WLF
Jabbor,
There is a test at the end of the powertrax install where you hold one wheel and try to move the other. If this test works for you then the unit is installed properly.
Sometimes the diff may be unlocked when you hit the light and then you may feel a clunk as it locks under acceleration.
You have to learn to accelerate into a turn from a stop much more lightly. Otherwise what you are feeling is the inside wheel loosing traction (you now have 4.10 gears and with the outside wheel unlocked the inside wheel is doing all the work). The good news is when you have to get out then the wheels will lock togeather and you will have plenty of traction.
This rear takes some getting use to but after having it on my truck for a couple of months I would not go back. I have traction in places I was not able to go before. The other day I had to stop on a dirt and gravel driveway with about a 30 degree incline and the front of the truck down. I had to then back out. I never could have done this before (and I had factory LS) but did it easily with the powertrax.

Old 05-01-2002, 06:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a grerat mod you done for your truck.

Old 05-02-2002, 12:47 PM
I would reccomend doing the install yourself. It is soo easy. Unfortunately, I did manage to **** something up (stripped the Pinionshaft retaining pin) so I did have to take it into the professionals. If I hadn't made such an ammiture mistake, I could have completed it easily. I jst dropped mine off at 4Wheel parts this morning. I am upgrading from 3.08 gears to 4.11 gears. My total cost will come in around $1600 plus tax.

Powertrax Unit $400
Gears (Buy one get one free) $132
Install Kits $167
New case for front gears $45
Installation, *gulp* $840
Gear oil $25

Taxes

Old 05-16-2002, 09:33 AM
UrbanCowboy,

Why did you have to get a new case for the front gears?

Did you ge the PowerTrax from 4WheelParts, too?

Old 05-16-2002, 12:54 PM
I was told that the stock front case would not accomodate the 4.11 gears. I hadn't mentioned it, but I got a new case in the rear too because they broke mine trying to fix the damage I caused when I stripped that pin. 4WheelParts does not sell Powertrax units. I got it from macromotive.com and once I stripped that pin and needed to cal professionals, I just gave it to them.

Old 05-17-2002, 10:13 AM
So where did you get the new front case from?

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2002, 11:11 AM
4WheelParts had the cases. They already had the front one when I went in and when they broke the rear, they said they had to hunt one down. Said it was difficult to find because I Had an open diff in the rear rather than a limited slip.

Quick Reply: 4.10's and powertrax installed