Got a squeak, eek eek eek

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Got a squeak, eek eek eek

When slowing down to or starting from a stop, basically under 10mph, I hear a squeak. It sounds like a grocery cart wheel. Ya know the kind that no matter what, you always end up with eventhough every other cart miraculously doesn't squeak.

At first, I thought it was something with the tires. But I can only hear it with the windows up. It sounds like it is directly underneath. I'm starting to think there may be something at the top of the driveshaft that needs to be lubed or replaced. There's no vibrating and no effect to driving, just that rotating squeak. It's also inconsistent. If I drive the truck 3 or 4 different times ina day, then it will squeak 2 of those times.

I'm going to have it checked out soon and I thought there may be someone who has had this before. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2002, 09:17 PM
My 99 150 is making this sound also it is loudest at 25-30 mph (coasting ) I crawled under to take a look around and the only thing that looks strange is the slop in the tail shaft of the transfer case the driveshaft yoke will move (shake) in a vertical motion but feels fine when I try to move it horizonaly I cant hear the noise when the windows down , I am going to put it on jack stands this weekend and give it a listen

Old 03-20-2002, 01:31 PM
It could br the front axle grease seals are dry. This happens guite often on 4x4s. Look where the halfshaft goes through the spindle and you'll see a seal spray a little spray grease or wd-40 between the seal and cv joint. If this gets it let me know and I'll send you the bill.

Old 03-21-2002, 10:23 PM
Well, I found my hubs were locked for about 2 or 3 weeks. I thought of it the day after I made the thread. Since I put the hubs back to "free", there has been no noise.

But now I have another question. Will having the hubs locked for such a long time without using 4WD cause any damage? I'm assuming that because there was a squeak while the hubs were engaged that it did cause something to wear and need a lube.

I will check out the halfshalft seal. If that is it, mxracer514, then the check is in the mail .

Old 03-22-2002, 11:18 AM
It shouldn't hurt anything driving around with the hubs locked. I have also seen a few hub bearing failures on f-250, 350's that are driven in water and mud alot. I couldn't tell you about snow, we haven't seem that in years. Its a good chance that the seals are causing your problem.

Old 03-24-2002, 07:56 PM
Eek eek eeks are usually U-joints.

They usually evolve into crunch grunch crunch -- with a clunk in reverse.

Old 04-03-2002, 03:10 AM
Front brake pads binding slightly? Does it go away on brake application?

Quick Reply: Got a squeak, eek eek eek