Installing a limited slip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a limited slip?

I have a 2wd, 3.55s I believe and of course open diff. I know installing new gears would be out of my league, but how bad or hard is it to self install a limited slip? I would really like to regear to prob 4.10s, plan on goin up in tire size anyways to like 33-34 on stock 20s, and adding a LS.. though this will cost a good bit. So if I could go ahead and install a LS for now, Ill wait and regear in the future possibly.

Anyone provide a great limited slip option? Main daily driver, need a dependable stout limited slip when its needed to be there, but not crazy high. I dont know if I want a stock limited slip, something more. My stock gov loc in my last truck 4x4 s10 zr2 was awesome and never gave me problems, as soon as one wheel did about a half to full turn it locked in great. Want something not to high about 3-4 hundred,

Last edited by tman07f150; 04-10-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only way that a L/S would be plug and play is if you do a wheel to wheel exchange with another complete rear end.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
In order to install all traction lock rears and most lockers, you have to remove and re-install the ring gear. You could do what jgger suggested or there is a type of locker that can be installed without removing the ring gear. That is the only one an amateur could install correctly. Check with Richmond Gear about their Powertrax. It can be bought from many places like Summit Racing. Lockers do click when turning because it works like a ratchet and you don't want to floor it in the middle of a turn because you may catch the locker between locks and strip it.

Quick Reply: Installing a limited slip?