Jerking / Kick? at stops

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Jerking / Kick? at stops

I bought a 1999 F-150 Super cab XLT, 2WD, auto, V8, 4 wheel ABS disc brakes, with 3.55 limited slip axle a few weeks ago. The truck had 16k miles on it. Ever since the first day I got it, I have noticed quite a weird thing happening. Every time I come to a complete stop there is a jerk or kick of some kind, almost like a slip. This does not happen during 'California' (rolling) stops - only at stop lights/ signs, etc., when I have to come to a 'complete' stop. This has occurred in both dry and rainy conditions. Has anyone felt this? It is definitely something one would notice.

HELP! Thanks in advance!

Old 01-21-2001, 01:39 PM
Do you feel it through your brake pedal? I just got an 01 Supercrew, and sometimes when I am just coming to a complete it feels like the brake pedal is pulsing (like ABS is kicking in, but tires arent locked up). I am going to give it a couple thou. miles and see if it goes away.

Josh

------------------
1999 F150 XLT, V6, S/C, nothing important done yet.

Old 01-21-2001, 04:03 PM
Josh,

I don't feel it in the pedal. It is tough to pin point where and what it is. However, I did see something with regards to a pulsating pedal issue that was related to ABS in the "F-150 Problems" section of this site. You may want to look there for your situation.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joshman:
Do you feel it through your brake pedal? I just got an 01 Supercrew, and sometimes when I am just coming to a complete it feels like the brake pedal is pulsing (like ABS is kicking in, but tires arent locked up). I am going to give it a couple thou. miles and see if it goes away.

Josh
</font>

Old 01-21-2001, 09:33 PM
It might be the torque converter lockup is slow at unlocking, it can produce a jerk as the torque builds up before unlocking. I have experienced this at random in different Fords, the first time I had this happen I thought someone bumped me from behind. A mechanic told me its normal to stay locked until the pressures drop, which means it won't always be unlocked by the time a quick stop occurs. Had a 99 Expy 4R100 where the converter lock solenoid broke and disintegrated, Ford replaced the whole tranny. The replacement has done the jerk a few random times. If it happens repeatedly something must be wrong, you might try a flush and filter change.

Old 01-22-2001, 09:04 PM
ztrucker: Place your gear selector in 2nd gear and start out. When you reach 40 mph, slow down like you normally do when the clunk is felt and see if it still does it. Chances are if it doesn't do it, it is not your brake calipers or rear end as they would continue to exhibit this noise/feel. Fought this since my truck was @ 1600 miles, dealer placed a new tranny in, and it was better but still did the bump. I believe this could be the torque converter unlocking and moving into 3rd gear electronically. Some seem harsher than others. Good luck getting past the dealer "NTF". j.b.

------------------
99 SC Sport XL, Silver everywhere
4.2 auto, 3.55 rear gear
Split bench w/drivers side raised 2" in back
Stock AM/FM w/2 cheesy speakers
Ford brand bedliner, Mobil 1 w/Motorcraft FL400S filter
DynoMax single in/out muffler

Old 01-23-2001, 12:11 AM
I appreciate your response and certainly will suggest that the dealer check into it. However, I want to further explain the sensation I'm feeling when the "Thing" happens. Again it only happens at complete stops and it "feels" like the brake calipers rotate slightly AND it"feels" like it's coming from the rear end area. Furthermore, once I come to a complete stop and then release the brakes and let the truck creep up a little and apply the brake hard again, it doesn't do the "Thing".

Old 01-29-2001, 02:47 AM
Unhappy

I've got the same problem. I thought it was the tranny but it does it in every gear (auto) sometimes when I stop the engine feels like its straining and I let off the brakes and you can feel it release then its fine..But its definatley something in the rear my dealer is going to check it when my hood shocks come in hood keeps hitting me in the head and I've only got 15000 miles on it.

------------------
'99 F-150
4.2 4X2 XLT
  • 3" spindles
  • 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer STT
  • Pacer 16X8 Aluminum Wheels
  • cat back duals with Flowmaster 40 series

Trending Topics

Old 01-29-2001, 08:26 AM
UB6IB9,

My dealer is ordering a new YOKE for the drive train. He "lubed" it last week and the problem went away for a day. Therefore, he hopes that the new yoke will cure things.

If you go to the Transmission forum you'll see a some similar complaints......without solutions though.

Old 01-30-2001, 03:45 AM
Talking

Let me know if the yoke does the trick

------------------
'99 F-150
4.2 4X2 XLT
  • 3" spindles
  • 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer STT
  • Pacer 16X8 Aluminum Wheels
  • cat back duals with Flowmaster 40 series 36"x3 1/2" chrome tips

Old 02-08-2001, 06:00 PM
Angry

Well, I took my truck in for this problem yesterday. They told me it was normal. I guess I should have learned by now to never go in for repairs until your vehicle is either on fire or you have the part that feel off in your hand!

Oh well. I did tighten the spare, but haven't driven it yet to tell if that was the problem. Will let you know.

Melissa

Old 02-13-2001, 09:47 PM
Lightbulb

Took my truck to another Ford dealer and actually rode with the shop foreman this time. He said that what I am feeling is perfectly normal - just a downshift. He said this will be harder/ softer depending upon how fast you are going when you try to stop and how hard you apply the brakes.

So, I guess at this point, I just have to go with that!

Melissa

Old 02-25-2001, 07:09 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UB6IB9:
Let me know if the yoke does the trick
</font>
UB6IB9,

My dealer replaced my "Slip Yoke" last week and so far the "problem" is gone.

Quick Reply: Jerking / Kick? at stops