Differential friction modifier?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2001, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Isn't that transmission fluid? Why would you put transmission fluid in you front dif. I kinda had the same question about the friction modifier for the front but I don't think the front is a limited slip though. I am not sure about that however. I read quite a few threads about changing diff. oil and I don't remember anyone saying the front should have it. I went against reccomendations for the rear.

------------------
'97 F-150 4x4 4.6L Auto Off Road Moonlight Blue
Tow package, Westin Chrome Nerf bars, Color matched bug shield
Linex bed liner, Wizard Ultra White Headlights

[This message has been edited by BERVINATOR (edited 02-16-2001).]

Old 02-19-2001, 04:16 PM
Lightbulb

Bervinator,
My owners manual calls for a tranny fluid in the front differential-DexronIII/Mercon. I thought all (newer)transfer cases called for the tranny fluid.?.
Anyone,
Could I have used the Mercon V-it's synthetic isn't it, or is this not recommended.
I was just wondering if there is anything I could/should add to the transfer case to help extended life/reduce wear...seeing as how when I go "out for the day" having fun/hunting, I'm in 4wd at least 75% of the afternoon.

------------------
1997 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 4x4, 2-tone: white w/tan bottom, 4.6L, aoutmatic, Towing package, K&N Filter, Custom Cat-back true dual exhaust with 2 FLOWMASTER Series 40 Delta Flows and 4" x 22" chrome tips(out the back of course), Bridgestone Dueller A/T's 265/75/16, Ventshade Bug and Window Deflectors.

[This message has been edited by Pat Dantzler (edited 02-19-2001).]

Old 02-21-2001, 01:13 PM
Pat,
I think there may be a bit of confusion with terms. The transfer case does require tranny fluid (which is hydraulic oil) but the front differential requires an oil specified in the owners manual. I forget the specs on the oil for the front differential. The transfer case is located basically above the cross member towards the center of the truck and to the side of the transmission. The front differential is behind your front skid plate. I'd make sure you have the right fluids in the right places.

------------------
'97 F-150 4x4 4.6L Auto Off Road Moonlight Blue
Tow package, Westin Chrome Nerf bars, Color matched bug shield
Linex bed liner, Wizard Ultra White Headlights

Old 02-22-2001, 09:39 PM
bervinator:
the purpose of the fiction modifier is to allow the clutches to slip MORE. If you do any real off-roading, you want the clutches to engage. With the stock fluid, my LS SUCKED big time, only one tire would spin if the other was "planted". One more than one occassion, I had one tire up or loose and the other one sat while the "loose" one spun. Now they both grip a whole lot better.
Yeah the clutch packs might wear a bit quicker, but it's cheaper than replacing other things because the truck won't get traction, or having to call someone to come bail me out.
Nopar, what was the sludge I scooped out of the bottom of my diff then????? I guess that fact that this sludge responds well to a magnet, has nothing to do w/ the fact that it may have metal shaving in it.
Also why was the factory fluid the consistancy of chicken noodle soup? GEARoil shouldn't be thin and lacking viscosity.
If ya;ll want to think ford knows the gospel go ahead. They had my truck for 2 weeks before they finally believed me that it was the valve seats leaking and it wasn't the "humidity" causing my truck to blow smoke. I ended up fixing my doors since thoes dingbats couldn't figure it out.
To each his own.

Viva la Amsoil!

------------------
Dr.(wife says i'm spoiled) Jones.
2000 F-150 5.4L
AUTO,SC-sb 4x4-XLT, 3.55LS, 8.8 front- 9.75 rear, sidesteps, sprayed in liner, 17"wheels ORP, trailer-tow pkg, CD, Cpt chairs, 4whl ABS, Keyless Entry, Airbox silencer removed/K&N, Amsoil(transfercase, motor, rearend), 3" custom dynomax ultra flow catback, as an anniversary gift. With a best of 18.5 MPG.
kjones02@elp.rr.com, strengthbeyondstrength2000@yahoo.com waiting for the 275hp PSD
www.ford-diesel.com , www.fordvschevy.com/ , www.blueovalnews.com/, www.webattack.com, www.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Quick Reply: Differential friction modifier?