Stuck in 4 wheel drive!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck in 4 wheel drive!

Picked up my truck after it was washed today. After a few miles I realized it was in 4 hi. When I turned the switch (electric shift on Lariat) it would not go back into 2wd. I disconnected the battery to reset the computer. When I cranked it up I could hear some clicking in the dash. Then it went to 2wd. Now every time I start it I hear 4-6 clicks in the dash, like the it is trying to decide to go 2wd or 4wd.

Hope I gave enough info for one of you smart guys to help with a diagnosis.

Old 10-24-2001, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like to me that the switch and all the realys are working fine if you can hear them. I would say the problem lies within the transmission range sensor. The TR sensor tells the PCM (Powertrain control module) when the trans is in park, neutural, drive, or reverse. It is used for starting, torque convertor, EGR, and IAC operation. It also has sensing circuit for 4wd. ANother part that comes to mind but I am not usre on these trucks is a GEM (generic electronic module). IF it's not that it's a mechanical problem in the linkage, t-case or driveline somewhere. Hope this helps a little. Let me know if I can help more.

Quick Reply: Stuck in 4 wheel drive!