4 x 4 CV boot repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 x 4 CV boot repair

Hate to say it guys, but I got a little rambunctious changing my struts and nicked the CV boot. Bad part was I didn't know it, and only saw the grease three hours into a four hour trip at the start of a week and a half trip. Nothing was hot and I was running 2WD, so I had to go for it. Got to the hotel and crawled under with some paper towels and much to my relief it was just the boot nick, and nothing more drastic as I had feared. An alcohol pad and some good duct tape made a decent temp repair.

Did some internet searching while at the hotel and discovered all the interesting ways of taking care of the problem. Taking everything apart with a short time between service calls was not something I was looking forward to, and the boots with the split to go aver the axle was a non starter. So..

I came across a video, a guy making a supposed permanent repair of a small cut like mine. What the hell, as long as it holds a month or so I'll be happy. So I went to Walmart the next day... and got Shoe Goo in the shoe department, a nice bright red tube on the end cap. I was nicely surprised, it's consistency much thicker than RTV. Pulled the duct tape and cleaned the area with another alcohol pad. Put some Shoe Goo on and smoothed it down with a bit of plastic wrap on my finger. ( Remember I'm on the road away from my shop. No gloves. )

Well I hate to say it, but work literally took off and it was out of sight out of mind. I was swapping out the IWE's now about three months later, the one on the other side had failed and I always replace them in pairs. It dawned on me I hadn't done anything with that temp repair on the CV boot. I wiped the boot off, and except for the surface not being as shiny as when I applied it, there was no change in the Shoe Goo repair. Still nice and flexible. I'll keep an eye on it, but at this point, the 'temp' repair with Shoe Goo will be a permanent repair like the guy in the video said.

Quick Reply: 4 x 4 CV boot repair