Drive shaft problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive shaft problems

I have an 08 supercab with the 2 peice driveshaft. I lost the center support bearing carrier last week and limped the truck home. Luckily it blew a block from the house on my way home from work. I then did the research and found it is not serviceable. So then I decided to get a new shaft made with serviceable parts on it so I dont have to do this again someday as I dont plan on selling this truck. So I got a new shaft made, came home and it doesnt fit. I took it back and the guy said it is too long by 1 3/4 inches and he is sorry and will fix it. I then get it back and it all goes in great, now I have a vibration at anything over 40mph. Im pretty sure its out of balance and now I need to call this guy again.

The question I have is, the new shaft doesnt have any type of weights on it anywhere. It didnt have any the first time I got it when it was too long, and he cut it down to fit and it still doesnt have any. Is that normal, or should it have some sort of visible weights on it? I have to call this shop back this morning and I hate being the annoying customer complaining alll the time, but this is not a cheap part. I dont really have any experience in drive shafts so thats why Im asking.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:47 AM
I just called the guy and told him I have a vibration in the steering wheel and you can feel the seats vibrate at 40mph. He said he knows what happened, they shortened the rear shaft and re balanced it, but not the front shaft, So now its probably out of balance.

I thought these 2 piece shafts have to be balanced as one unit and if you separate the tubes, they must be put on in the same way they got balanced?

Old 10-31-2018, 12:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Interesting. My truck has a 2 piece too.

How many miles do you have on the original drive shaft?

Old 10-31-2018, 02:23 PM
Truck is an 08 with only 84k. I have read about people getting double that on the carrier bearing, but the rubber insulation that holds the bearing is what gave out.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Interesting. I've always sprayed silicone on mine to keep the rubber soft.

Have you thought about a 1 piece driveshaft?

Old 10-31-2018, 03:12 PM
No, the guys at the driveshaft shop knew what I was talking about when I called them, said they make them all the time for these trucks. Acted like they were real familiar with them. So I figured they would do good work just duplicating the original, but with all serviceable parts.

I just hope he does a good job balancing it this time around. If I have to take it back after this, Ill be asking for my money back.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:40 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
How does their cost compare to rockauto.com?

Old 11-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Ended up costing 700 to get one made with all serviceable parts. Aftermarket ones vary depending on the length. Ford wanted 1,036 for one but I work in a body shop so we could of got it for 800. I think the serviceable one was a better choice. Hope it lasts.

I already got the new one back. They said it was off balance. It drove fine on the highway up to 85mph, so I think its all good now.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:50 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Excellent!

Quick Reply: Drive shaft problems