04 f150 wont turn off??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 f150 wont turn off??

Hi guys I cant seem to get into my old account but I posted a couple weeks ago about my 2004 f150 lariat screw it wasnt turning off the symptoms where the guages where turning on and off while driving but this time it never happened I think the fuel pump driver under spare tire caused that. The other symptoms where the truck would not turn off even with key completely out I would pull the pcm 1st plug under the hood to stop engine and pull battery terminal to kill everything. Now this only happens when it rains alot so it getting shorted somewhere this time a couple days ago when it first happened truck turned off like normal I went for dinner when I came back to my truck lights where on everything was on as if the key where in(except engine) now when I got in put the key in it wouldnt turn over nothing happend. The only way to start truck is to pull battery terminal turn key to on position then put battery terminal back on. Also engine light is not on i took the cats off a few months back so 02 sensors should be throwing engine light but its not on. Also engine failsafe mode is intermitant while driving. Im thinking now this is a pcm problem maybe corroded letting moisture in. It only happens when we get a lot of rain Im pulling my hair out anyone have this problem? So Im thinking its not the pcm now because it there was a short inside the pcm then if i un plugged the 3 plugs from it truck accesories would shut off right away. So currently to only way to shut off truck is by pulling the first pcm plug for engine and batt terminal for other accersories. I would be leaning towards something in the ignition but it only happens when it rains so I wouldnt think it would be ignition related im stuck now any help would be much apprecited

Old 04-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Please don't double post... it confuses people...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-turn-off.html

It sounds like an ignition switch issue.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I found the issue it was the abs pump module there was a small piece cracked and its located by the driverside front tire where the plastic gaurd in the wheel well ends it exposes the abs pump module the plug for it was shorting bad and corroded was missing 2 pins as well so this caused enginefail safe mode the truck was unable to shut off and the guages where dropping out periodically. Found abs pump and module for 85 at the wreckers just changed the module and truck is perfect again hope this helps somebody not like the help I got 😒

Old 04-06-2018, 10:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Awesome troubleshooting! Good thing it didn't do more damage.

Quick Reply: 04 f150 wont turn off??