4:11's for open differentials?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 10:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question 4:11's for open differentials?

Are they even available? I am wanting to get a Powertrax unit and switch to 4:11 gears. Also,anyone know off the bat what number of teeth on the speedo gear I need to correct for the 4:11's? I plan to stay close to the stock tire size,at least until I can afford some 18" wheels. Right now I am running one size over stock at 245/70/16's( stock was 235/70) Thanks for any suggestions,,,,,,98

Old 09-07-2001, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorta

What size is the differential?(8.8?) If so you can get 4.10s(or 4.30s or 4.56s for it).Just find a website that sells gears and carries the ford motorsport brand (they are suppsed to be easier to install) and shoot them an email or maybe someone else will come along that knows more about this gear thing than me(wouldn't take much )

Old 09-07-2001, 09:52 AM
Thumbs up

Yes,it's the 8.8. Hey 4:10's are close enough for me,I was just still wondering if they are even made for open diffs. Seems like a company(even Ford Motorsport) wouldn't,because you'd only be using the one wheel. My truck already breaks loose without too much prodding,I can imagine the traction troubles I would have after the install. (The main reason for the Powertrax unit) Thanks for the reply lightningcrashz,,,,,98

Old 09-07-2001, 11:40 AM
Cool

Hi Screamer, When you drove my truck, you were driving a set of 4:10 gears with an open diff! Remember when you nailed it and broke them loose and then the truck broke to one side when you got traction again? Thats what will happen until you get a limited slip of some kind in there. It will spin one tire and when that tire bites again it will move the truck either right or left, depending on which tire broke loose. The gear you want is a 23 tooth gear if you are going from a 3:55 to a 4:10 with the stock tire diameter. That should take care of your speedo error. Mike might need to tweak your chip but I am not sure about that on a normally aspirated motor. When you get the LS installed, then you will probably start haveing some wheel hop and axle wrap issues. I installed some Cal Tracs which took care of that problem. Good luck with your project!

Old 09-07-2001, 12:56 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks VERY much Flats Man! You answered all my questions in one post
The only traction problem I'll probably have is trying to break them loose at all(unless it happens to be raining at the time) I'm planning on doing a pulley set,then swapping gears,,then maybe I'll continue with the visual mods. There really is not much more I can do externally,so it's time to get faster,hehe,,,,Thanks again for the answers,,,,,98

Old 09-07-2001, 02:39 PM
Cool

My Pleasure, glad I could help. I will have my truck up in the Dallas area for the month of October if you happen to be in the area. I am doing some Grandpa stuff and will be on my Son's computer so I will stay in touch

Quick Reply: 4:11's for open differentials?