98 4x4 problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 4x4 problem

Ok so i know these problems have been all over this forum, but having a hard time finding exactly the issues with the year of the truck

So 98 4.6L. Electronic switch. I put it in 4HI one day and it didnt do anything. then the next day, i put it in 4Hi and i heard some clicking behind the dash and then the 4x4 light came on. turned it to 4Lo and nothing happened. No noise, no light, no change in the truck from what i could tell. It actually felt like it was in 2wd still. then last night i put it in 4hi, and i heard the clicking behind the dash and then turned to 4lo again and nothing-the back tires actually spun when i pulled off but the front seemed to just be free spinning and there wasnt any binding up of sharp turns. Had to cut the truck off to get the 4x4 light to actually turn off after turning back to 2wd. Tried 4Hi one more time on asphalt and felt the truck binding when making a sharp left turn. and it came out of 4wd ok. Seems a little flaky with the way its been working electrically. Would i be looking at a bad switch possibly? the 4Lo light has never came on...not saying the bulb isnt burnt out tho... thanks in advance for any suggestions and help

Old 08-24-2013, 10:06 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You do know that you can only put it in 4Lo with the truck stopped in neutral with your foot on the brake?

Old 08-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's how I was doing it.

Quick Reply: 98 4x4 problem