The need to shorten your drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2000, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post The need to shorten your drive shaft

Anyone-
For you guys out there who have lowered your trucks, have you ever heard that you must shorten your drive shaft?

I just got my truck back from the Ford dealer where the rear pinion shaft seal had to be replace because it leaked. The rear end also howled and the ring and pinion gears were also replaced. The job was completed under warrenty but they told me that the reason for the problem was because my drive shaft is now too long since I lowered my truck with a 2-4 drop kit. Everyone I've talked to has said that this amount of drop is not radical enough to require shortening the shaft.

What have you guys heard?

------------------
Black '97, SC with 4.6, 3.55 gears, automatic, 2-4 Belltech drop kit, SnugTop fiberglass lid, 3 chamber Flowmaster muffler, billet bumper grill, fog lights, American Racing 17x8 wheels with 275-60 Goodyear Eagle GT II tires. Airaid intake.

Old 11-05-2000, 03:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I have just been told that my leaking pinion shaft seal is,you guessed it,NORMAL! bunch of BS! Mine is leaking
from the same place,and it's not lowered .
So I think you got handed a line of BS as
well. I have the 72/75 ext. warranty and every dealer I go to tries to talk me out of
getting things repaired. It's starting to really annoy me at this point. I think you were lucky that they actually fixed it. I can't
wait to get home to my dealer in Houston
. When I bought the truck,the a/c wasn't working,and they replaced everything but the hoses,and sent me on my way. Fabulous svc. in my book. They have been in the same location since 58,and are well known for good svc.,so I'll be paying them a visit when I get there in 2 months.,,,,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper 500HF Security system
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order
www.my-f150.com
Fender Guitars,ROCK!!!

Old 11-07-2000, 10:03 PM
98SCREAMER -
I didn't go into a lot of detail in my first note but I was told exactly what you were told. The leak was normal. I told them on the spot that oil leaking onto my driveway was in no way "NORMAL". They told me it was the vent and that possibly the rear end had been overfilled. I told them if it was overfilled, they did it because they were to only one who has ever serviced the truck. I also pointed out that the 'vent' is out on the axle tube and that my leak was dead center under the truck directly under the diff seal.

I don't think they were ever trying to sell me on the leak being a result of the lowering of my truck. I do think they were trying to convince me that the ring and pinion problem was caused by lowering my truck. What I think happend is that enough oil leaked out through the seal and caused the gears to start howling.

Make your dealer repair the seal in your truck!

------------------
Black '97, SC with 4.6, 3.55 gears, automatic, 2-4 Belltech drop kit, SnugTop fiberglass lid, 3 chamber Flowmaster muffler, billet bumper grill, fog lights, American Racing 17x8 wheels with 275-60 Goodyear Eagle GT II tires. Airaid intake.

Old 11-09-2000, 11:33 AM
The exact same thing happened to me about a year ago. But when it happened to me it started to pour out of it. Got it fixed at a dealership in houston and havn't had any problems since.

------------------
98 F150
Midnight Blue
4X2 Super Cab
4.6L V8
Viper alarm w/ remote start
Tuff Grip spray in
SI/DO Ravin Z-33
BFG 32" ATs.

Old 11-11-2000, 12:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Mines not dripping yet,but there is a large
stain covering the whole bottom of the dif.
and the rear u-joints. This continues to the underside of the bed floor directly above the pinion seal. It was first pointed out to me by a mechanic who had the truck on a lift about six months ago. They
weren't trying to make a buck off me,either.
because they just told me about it,and didn't try to get me to have it fixed there.
Hope Tommie Vaughn will take care of it for me........98
Sorry,I thought they were saying the leak was caused by lowering the truck........

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Clear Euro tails(Altezza style)
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper 500HF Security system
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order
www.my-f150.com .still want to lift it,YES!
Fender Guitars,ROCK!!!
http://www.bigsandy.net
officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

Old 11-11-2000, 11:41 AM
98SCREAMER -
I'm surprised you haven't seen an oil stain on your driveway. You described the problem perfectly. The spinning shaft slings the oil in a circle so it gets thrown all across the underside of the bed. My truck was a mess. Once the work was complete, I sprayed a degreaser under the bed, on the frame, and differential, and then took the truck to one of those self serve high pressure car washes. I got everything nice and clean again so I'll be able to see that everything is sealed up nice and tight. Any recurring leaks will be easy to see now.

------------------

Old 03-30-2004, 03:31 PM
How much did they charge any of you to replace the front seal on the rear diff where the Pinon gear comes in?

Thanks!

Trending Topics

Old 03-31-2004, 05:22 AM
i was running the stock shocks on my lowered 3/4 dropped truck and it would pop the rear pinnion and trans output shaft seals all the time. then i got the right shocks and now it only pops the trans output shaft seal not a major leak though. i can see this happening because the shaft is pushed farther in then it ever was past the rust ridge. and i cant remove the drive shaft with the truck off of the ground so maybe the shaft is right at its limit but i have 113k on it and its been dropped for 70k miles.

as for the pinnion gear failure did they do anything to correct pinnion angle after dropping it?

Quick Reply: The need to shorten your drive shaft