How difficult is it to install a Truetrac?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How difficult is it to install a Truetrac?

So, I'm looking at installing a Truetrac on my truck (this one from
Amazon Amazon
). I have a good amount of mechanical knowledge and usually do all the work on my truck. But I have zero experience with anything to do with the rear-end of any vehicle and if its over my head, I will gladly take it somewhere so I don't screw something up. I will be keeping my stock gears, just switching from the stock open diff to the Truetrac. Should I just take this to a shop to get it installed or can I do it myself? Will I need anything other than Truetrac? I've heard mention of friction modifier and master install kits. Not sure if I need these or not and what exactly I need.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:46 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by andy121
hai
this is andy from india
dude what is proce of install true trac.
Top ten classified website
DOOD!! I know, right?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
No need to quote spam - looks like it's already been removed. That's what the Report Post button is for.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by bconnaway
So, Will I need anything other than Truetrac? I've heard mention of friction modifier and master install kits. Not sure if I need these or not and what exactly I need.
I just took mine to a shop, I didn't want to risk messing things up, but then I also swapped gears as well.

Best piece of advice I can give you is DON"T use friction modifier. DON'T use synthetic diff oil. If you do it will whine constantly. I had this issue because the install instructions just say to replace fluid to factory specs. When I called Eaton directly and told them my issue they asked if I had used friction mod and synth fluid. When I said I had, the guy (Barney I think) said that was the source of the whining noise. So I had to take it back to the shop to have them drain the rear, steam clean it and wipe it down to get all the bad stuff out. They put in 70w90 conventional gear oil and it has been quiet ever since.

Quick Reply: How difficult is it to install a Truetrac?