LS Failure Symptoms??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OK, that helped. I think

So with the jack and e-brake thing, if it'll drive off the jack, odds are things are working as they should; or the clutches are in descent shape anyways. If it won't pull itself off the jack, then that could be pointing to bad clutch pack?? Did I get that right or backwards? Should I repeat this with each side off the ground?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:52 PM
MLD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxy
OK, that helped. I think

So with the jack and e-brake thing, if it'll drive off the jack, odds are things are working as they should; or the clutches are in descent shape anyways. If it won't pull itself off the jack, then that could be pointing to bad clutch pack?? Did I get that right or backwards? Should I repeat this with each side off the ground?
On wheel will do it.

This should show the condition of those clutch packs.

And if it passes this, it's time to find a shop to verify where the problem is, if were mine.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by MLD
And if it passes this, it's time to find a shop to verify where the problem is, if were mine.
Don't you mean if it fails this???

Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I think he means if it passes this, someone with more skill needs to look for the problem because it sounds like it could be something not easily diagnosed.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:09 AM
MLD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes. This check is just something you do to give yourself a heads up on the problem.

Either way it calls for a professional check...a true unidentifiable rear end noise is something to address.

I've read of stories of the third member grenading--. This has happened with the infamous Ford ring gear failures. It was just a bad run of the gearsets, that would "howl," and dealers didn't know what to do about it, said it was normal... many cases of catastrophic failures.
In one instance not only did it grenade the third member, but split the 4r100 tranny case in half at the same time. Just out of warranty, too.

But a clicking noise in there seems to me to be those clutches.

Let us know.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Wouldn't you guys think though, if there was pretty much ANY problem going on internally; bad clutches, broken parts, etc, etc, there'd be some contaminants stuck to the dipstick? But I guess not necessairily.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:27 PM
FOUND IT!!! It's not a bad LS after all. My noise ended up being the stupid parking brake! The pads had completely separated off the backing plate...both of them. Pulled the rotor off and both pad material pieces fell off on the ground. Gonna try to JB weld the pad back on the backing plate to see if it'll hold. If not, oh well. At least my LS is not the culprit...but then there goes my opportunity/justification to buy a new diff!!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:34 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Glad you found it, it's always the dumbest things that cause that crap half the time

Old 12-21-2011, 12:13 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Parking brake shoes aren't that expensive - do the job right and replace them.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Too late, LOL! Already back together and on the road. Don't know what's right anyways...they're glued together anyways. Bet ya my JB does better than new.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Galaxy
FOUND IT!!! It's not a bad LS after all. My noise ended up being the stupid parking brake! The pads had completely separated off the backing plate...both of them. Pulled the rotor off and both pad material pieces fell off on the ground. Gonna try to JB weld the pad back on the backing plate to see if it'll hold. If not, oh well. At least my LS is not the culprit...but then there goes my opportunity/justification to buy a new diff!!
Mine separated on the one side too. It made some horrible grinding noises while I drove. I just put new ones on. They were cheap. I must say that was the first time I have ever seen the braking material completely separate from the shoe like that. I wasn't too impressed since my truck only has around 65,000 miles on it. I also came to find out the emergency brake cable was seized along with the "levers" that engage the E-brake shoes. Did you check that stuff as well?

Quick Reply: LS Failure Symptoms??