Please help diagnosing a noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help diagnosing a noise.

I have a 2004 Ford F-150 4x4 crewcab lariat and was looking for the possible problem before I take the truck to the dealer and get led down an expensive wrong path.

The truck when the speed approaches 35-40 mph makes a disengaged like noise going down the road. When I slow down to about 5-10 mph the disengaged noise slows with mph and then crunches into an engagement like noise and everything sounds. normal. The noise seems like it is under the left front end or under the pedals.

I had the transmission fluid changed at the last visit and thought that it was somehow related to that. But the truck seems to shift fine and doesn't slip, the fluid looks new and the level is fine.

The truck doesn't have manual hubs and has that shift on the fly **** if that helps with diagnosing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Elaborate on the "disengaged noise".

Old 03-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Could be something that runs on the fan belt (alternator, power steering pump, idler pulley, etc...). I've had almost everything on my fan belt go bad, and they can make all kind of interesting noises and squeaks and squeels. Does the noise seem related to RPM speed? Does it change according to RPM speed? Also describe the noise a little differently; not really sure what "disengaged" sounds like

Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 PM
As you can tell I'm not mechanically inclined, but it sounds mechanical like a gear that isn't into its slot. The noise slows with speed, then when its traveling slow enough it crunches into place.

The truck only has 39,000 miles and was sitting for about 4 months with just ocasional use because of other cars i have.

Sounds like its in the front axle area or the left front wheel area, while I got the window rolled down. I'm hoping it's something simple.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Enzo IX
As you can tell I'm not mechanically inclined, but it sounds mechanical like a gear that isn't into its slot. The noise slows with speed, then when its traveling slow enough it crunches into place.

The truck only has 39,000 miles and was sitting for about 4 months with just ocasional use because of other cars i have.

Sounds like its in the front axle area or the left front wheel area, while I got the window rolled down. I'm hoping it's something simple.
Is it a 4X4? If it is, then it could possibly be the cv axle. One goes from the front differential out to each front tire. Or it could be a wheel bearing. If it is either one of these, then the cost of a replacement should be less than $100 (+ labor if you don't do it at home)

Last edited by MossyOak3006; 03-24-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:06 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
It could be IWE issues.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:47 PM
+1 i agree

Old 03-26-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys, researched what IWE was and it sure sounds like that is what the problem is. Going to the Ford dealership on Monday morning I feel alot better now so I can kind of point them in the right direction.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Please help diagnosing a noise.