F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Other Powertrain (https://www.f150online.com/forums/other-powertrain-15/)
-   -   electric fan conversion (https://www.f150online.com/forums/other-powertrain/421405-electric-fan-conversion.html)

Joethefordguy 07-02-2010 01:49 AM

electric fan conversion

two questions - why not a pusher fan, instead of a puller? since there appears to be more room in front of the radiator than behind it, why not mount the fan there and have it blow through the radiator?

second - does the markVIII fan really pull 42amps? wow! how do you handle that load?

jg

maddoughboy 07-02-2010 10:51 PM

When doing efans yout remove the mechanical fan which will give you more room. Pusher fans are normaly hooked up for ac use.

DigitalMarket 07-02-2010 11:20 PM

A puller is more efficient and will require shorter on cycle lengths as a general rule of thumb.

Joethefordguy 07-03-2010 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalMarket (Post 4265981)
A puller is more efficient and will require shorter on cycle lengths as a general rule of thumb.

now that answers the question! thanks!

Galaxy 07-05-2010 11:02 PM

I'm not certain, but I would venture to guess that fan only draws that kind of current during initial start up. Most electric fans have a bigger spike in the draw during start up, but it's for milliseconds.

Puller fans are more efficient because they create a low pressure behind the blades, which is across the radiator in the case of a puller. A low pressure like this aids in cooling. Although very minimal, it's still there. A pusher fan on the front would create a high pressure in front of the blades. In the case of a pusher, this high pressure would be across the radiator and a high pressure creates heat. A pusher in front of the radiator would also block the surface area of the radiator, again decreasing cooling.

Joethefordguy 07-06-2010 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Galaxy (Post 4268682)
I'm not certain, but I would venture to guess that fan only draws that kind of current during initial start up. Most electric fans have a bigger spike in the draw during start up, but it's for milliseconds.

Puller fans are more efficient because they create a low pressure behind the blades, which is across the radiator in the case of a puller. A low pressure like this aids in cooling. Although very minimal, it's still there. A pusher fan on the front would create a high pressure in front of the blades. In the case of a pusher, this high pressure would be across the radiator and a high pressure creates heat. A pusher in front of the radiator would also block the surface area of the radiator, again decreasing cooling.

got it, that makes sense.

however, the 42 amps i read for the MarkVIII is running amps - the start up is even worse. a 42 amp load for an efan just doesn't sound right - if it's that bad, why switch? OTOH, the MarkVIII is supposed to be able to move a whole lot of air...

97XL 07-07-2010 12:56 AM

I think I read somewhere that the MkVIII draws 80+A at start up. But is does have a high CFM well over 3000..prolly closer to 5000.

ELVATO 07-07-2010 12:59 AM

It's not so bad if you get a controller that soft starts it.

Joethefordguy 07-08-2010 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by ELVATO (Post 4269896)
It's not so bad if you get a controller that soft starts it.

aha! thanks for that tip.

as to the 5000 CFM: holy toledo!! screw the engine, this fan is like one of those swamp buggies with the prop on the back... who needs a motor?

2009KR 07-17-2010 10:55 AM

It seems to me that puller fans draw air more uniformly across the radiator since they sit back a little and don't have the motor blocking as much.

arduckaholic 01-04-2011 05:48 PM

Why not get a dual elect fan from junkyard from an early ops Taurus? they were a two speed flow like a mofo

88rxn/a 01-04-2011 06:58 PM

those taurus fans from the SHO motors pulled around 3000 if i remember correctly?

x_man586 01-04-2011 08:19 PM

On my Lightning I used a Mark VIII fan with a Mad Enterprise's controller. It has 2 relays in parallel. My fan pulls around 50 amps for start and runs around 25-35 amps. The controller has 2 sensors. One for the radiator which you can adjust to suit your needs. The other can be used in the evaporator so your a/c stays cold.