Aluminum Driveshafts

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2000, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gotta update my signature: STEEL DRIVE SHAFT!

------------------
FASTFOURBY
98 Lariat 5.4 4X4 SC SB Tow ORP
Superchipped!
K&N
WMS Velocity tube
Gibson Sport Truck exhaust
Edelbrock IAS
JBA Headers
16X8 Centerline Billet Wheels 285 75 16 BFG AT's for summer Stock 17's and Goodyears for winter.

Old 01-22-2000, 06:51 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Short, skinny, RUSTY shafts!

The only long wheelbase steel shaft I've seen was on my brother's Silverado and it WAS a two piece. There was a joint about one third the way back.

Old 01-23-2000, 01:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

I was trying to be sensitive to your situation and not bring up the deterioration of your shaft (aka rust).

But, your brothers 'rado does bolster my theory of aluminum vs steel being dependent upon length. The extra set of U-joints and the bearing are just additional points of failure that Ford doesn't have!

Old 01-23-2000, 10:46 PM
Wink

Both Bruce and nomo are right. For the extended cab application, a two piece steel drive shaft would be required. The Ranger uses this set-up, but has a one-piece for the standard cab. As a structural engineer, I can tell you that the ability of a section to resist torsion (twist), is directly related to it's geometry. A large diameter tube is very efficient in this application. I could go on and on with equations and such, but I know a lot of you are already suffering from shaft envy and I wouldn't want to make all of you skinny rusty shaft types feel any less adequate.....

------------------
2000 XLT Black Sport, Flareside, 2WD, Ext. Cab, 5.4L Auto. Other factory options: 3.55 LS, Class III tow, 6-way Captains chairs w/CD changer, Remote entry , and Slider window.
Mods: Undercoat, window tint, headlight & tail light covers, removed "Sport" decals, upgraded Triton tailgate emblem, Linex spray-in bedliner, and an ARE LSII lid.
Wish list: Flowmaster duals, K&N FIPK or Velocity Tube, and a Belltech 3/4 drop.
Check it out at: http://home.columbus.rr.com/selva1/f150.html

Old 01-24-2000, 07:32 AM
Exclamation

Oh, and since I didn't carify...........I HAVE A LONG THICK SHAFT AND AM VERY PROUD. I've given many a ride and I've had no complaints. Quite a few have even come back, asking for more.

Old 01-24-2000, 09:17 AM
Aluminum here!

------------------
White 97 XLT SC 4.6, 4X4, 3.55ls, door cracks, tow pkg, long bed, Rhino liner, Owens running boards

Old 01-24-2000, 11:01 AM
Mine is a 4X4 lariat, extended cab, short bed. Single piece, rusty steel shaft here. Random application of Alunimum and Steel has been posted so far.

I am Proud of my shaft.

This is just now starting to get fun!

Old 01-24-2000, 11:43 AM
OK I just checked out my "Shaft"! It is made of coiled up spring steel! To accelerate, all I do is get some buddies to push me backwards for about 100 yards and then... I let my foot off the break and... YAHOOOO!!!
I was wondering why my truck was so slow off the line but really flew after a couple of mins. Turns out my engine is just there to 'Wind up the spring'!
C U Later
Bruce

Old 01-24-2000, 02:22 PM
Cool

Bruce,

You must have ordered the ORP with "articulated steering" option. This allows you to make 90 degree turns around trees, boulders etc. by bending the drive shaft at a right angle. Catapillar tried this on their off road dump trucks before separating the cab and bed into two separate sections.

------------------
Mine: '97F150,XLT,SC,4x4 ORP,4.6L,3.55LS,auto,6 CD,Towing package,alarm,grill guard w/PICCA lights,dual exhaust.

Wife: '99Explorer Limited,pearl white/tan leather,4.0L,4:10LS,CD,sunroof,towing pkg.,alarm

Old 01-25-2000, 12:39 AM
It's true, my LARIAT 4x4 SC SB 4.6 AS (Articulating steering) was an I'll fated pototype but I must admit the speed woble at hwy speeds is THRILLING!!!
The best thing about it is now when i wanna change the cd's in the 6 disc changer... I just turn the wheel and reach out beside my seat. No more reaching back for me, no sir!
C U Later
Bruce

Old 01-25-2000, 10:44 AM
Wink

OK I was gonna bite in to this one but, thought better of it. My ex works at Dana, I could ask him about his shaft but, as I remember it, it's longevity was superior, and it was never rusty, although not terribly impressive performance wise. I suppose I could look at it instead, but hesitate for fear of getting that white stuff on me. I guess I'll just have to wait for it to quit snowing so I can wash it and then get a look.
Gee, I sure hope I'll be deeply impressed this time!!!

------------------
Andthensometoo ®
"Moonlight Blue" 98 F150 SC XLT 2WD 4.6, 3.55 LS Tow Pkg. SUPERCHIP, K&N Airbox mod. w/ "Cool" intake, Mobil One Oil, Bosch +4's, Throttle Body Spacer Plate. Lund Fastback, Lighted visor, Runninng Boards, Crome Taillight covers, Polished Steel Fenderwell Moldings, Smoked Bug and Rain guards, Shelf-it, Carpet dash cover, "Andthensometoo" in silver Letters 3" tall on tail gate. Red Wings license plate in front, Red Wings license plate frame in back, Little Detroit Viper hanging from mirror, Oh yeah, and one "Blacked-out" grill.
Gonna get my Bed rails back on, Finally!
Couldn't find the right Polished steel design, so once I modify the powercoated ones I just bought, I will paint them.

Q: who wants my "Pocket Mount" chrome ones? Price:cost of shipping, or gas and maybe lunch if you live in S/E MI.

"Rocks don't move unless pushed, and neither do chevys!"

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/daytona/843/

Old 01-25-2000, 02:04 PM
Ho Ho Ho, you naughty girl! I'm tellin Mom on you

Let the spankings commence.

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!) Almost completed the Towing Pkg. options, MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening, Bosch Platinum + 4's, Hayden 30K+ Tranny Cooler, Superchip on the way!

Old 01-25-2000, 06:13 PM
Wink

Dirty, Dirty Girl Somebody needs a SPANK indeed! And we don't wanna catch you likin' it either! Hee hee hee!

Back on the subject of shafts...
As for mine... Rumors' vary...depends on who's along for the ride. (Ya Baby, Ya)

Austin "Driveshaft" Powers

------------------
'97 F-150 Lariat,4.6, S/C, 4X4, SB, 17"wheels, no mods.

Old 01-25-2000, 10:28 PM
Smile

Even if the aluminum shaft is 2" larger in diameter, and double the wall thickness, I still doubt it weighs as much as a steel one of the same length. The lighter shaft will give better throttle response, which might be great on the race track, but thats not what you need for pulling a trailer or running through 3 foot snow drifts (12" on the ground and still falling!). I guess it depends on what the truck is used for, but it dosen't seem like Ford gives us a choice anyway. My vote goes to the steel shaft. Just my opinion.

Old 01-25-2000, 10:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... ATST : Make sure you don't lick it when it's cold or your tongue will stick to it!LOL

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, **** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, AUTOMETER guage pod and tranny temp guage, custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP.

FUTURE MODS : JBA headers, power pulleys, twin electric fans, traction bars, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit, POWERAID, and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger.
ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 310H.P / 405ft/lbs of torque.

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w 530H.P(natural), 750H.P with N.O.S, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Quick Reply: Aluminum Driveshafts