posi how to install

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
posi how to install

im goin to put a posi in would any one know how to, and how difficult is it

Old 01-19-2010, 05:27 PM
i reccomend having a trans and gear shop do it everything has to be installed just right or it will lead to problems, plus everything has to be shimmed just right or you will have wobble and it i will cause the gears to wear unevenly maby blow, if you get all the parts the ring pinion and posi unit gear oil and shim kit and bearings and seals a shop can do it in just a few hours ive blown 4 rears in my time and it only cost like 200 in labor for them to do it or at least my shop did it for that, as long as you have all the parts ready to go it shouldnt caust much. i know how to di it its a pain in the *** thats y i pay the extra money to have it installed and the guy guarentees it up to a certain extent...good luck

Old 01-19-2010, 05:50 PM
im not one to discourage a do it yourself repair, but unless you have some knowledge of setting gears, or have the precision measuring equipment required to set them correctly id pay a shop to install it for you. its not rocket science by any means, ive done it a few times myself on my own stuff, but im a machinist/ machine builder by trade so i already have the tools required to measure the backlash and set the gear mesh and the knowhow needed to do it. as stated before, the pinion and diff carrier have to be shimmed to acheive the correct gear mesh and backlash and if its not near perfect it will lead to premature wear and possibly cause the gears to fail. a good shop should be able to do it for a couple hundred bucks.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If you really want to do it yourself, buy a Video that demonstrated how to do it. I have a Richmond Gear video that I bought from Summit Racing for about $15.

If you do not disturb the pinion which you do not have to do, it's a matter of measuring the backlash with a dial indicator before and making sure it is the same after. And getting the proper preload on the carrier bearings and torqing everything back properly. It's not nearly as hard if you do not disturb the pinion gear.

If you know nothing about how to do it, pay someone who does. It's not really a job for beginners.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 PM
thanks guys for all your replies ill probly just let a shop do it, im only 14 so ill wait till i go though uti in nc befor i do big jobs like tht but i do have alot of knowledge about cars

Quick Reply: posi how to install