stripped fill plug in differntial!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face stripped fill plug in differntial!!

i was attempting to refill my pumkin and when i went to pull the fill plug which is a 3/8 square drive it stripped, any ideas????

Old 08-31-2009, 04:49 PM
I've heard about this happening before because those plugs get very well stuck in there. You should probably spray it down with a penetrating oil like PB Blaster. Then i've heard that it makes it easier to get out if you heat the diff case around the plug with a torch. Once you do that you can use one of those broken bolt removal tools to try and get it out.

Also this is why everyone says its a good idea to try and remove the plug before you drain the differential so that if you cant get it out at least you still have fluid in there to drive around.

Hope this helps and you can get it out.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:38 PM
know a welder? tack a nut on there to pull the plug and then replace it.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by scruffy
I've heard about this happening before because those plugs get very well stuck in there. You should probably spray it down with a penetrating oil like PB Blaster. Then i've heard that it makes it easier to get out if you heat the diff case around the plug with a torch. Once you do that you can use one of those broken bolt removal tools to try and get it out.

Also this is why everyone says its a good idea to try and remove the plug before you drain the differential so that if you cant get it out at least you still have fluid in there to drive around.

Hope this helps and you can get it out.
+1 - heat works well

Quick Reply: stripped fill plug in differntial!!